Where to get portafilter modded to bottomless?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
arichimedes

Postby arichimedes » Jul 13, 2018, 5:54 pm

Hi all!

I just stepped into the world of espresso and wow this hobby got expensive fast! However, as I try to learn about extractions and get a better idea as to the consistency of my shots I realize that a bottomless portafilter would be extremely helpful. I already spent all my money on this machine so instead of looking to buy a new one I'd like to modify my single spout, but the only place I came across was espressoparts (and the reviews are a bit iffy, I'd be worried about the quality of the job) is there anyone on the forums who does these sort of modifications well?? I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

zrieser

Postby zrieser » Jul 13, 2018, 8:19 pm

What I have done with two previous machines is pick up a hole saw and cut my own. It is very easy with a drill, hole saw and files to make your own for under $20 bucks.

tegwj

Postby tegwj » Yesterday, 3:24 pm

A quality machine shop should also be able to modify the portafilter. Most are made of brass and plated, so they machine very nicely. A good machine shop can usually be found by asking around at auto parts stores and they'll likely have the right tools to ensure you get a very nice, clean, deburred cut. In practice it shouldn't take long to set up the jig and do the work; most shops charge $50-60/hr for basic work so you're looking at $20-30 or so.

Note that the ultra high-end race car fabrication shops fall well outside that price range, so don't go into one of those expecting a $20 solution. Community colleges with auto machining/mechanics departments may also have the right tools and available labor, so you might even get it done for the cost of a box of donuts.

Good luck!

toolate

Postby toolate » Yesterday, 10:55 pm

do it your self: I have no shop skills whatsoever and it was EASY :D

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Yesterday, 11:37 pm

borrow a drill from a friend and get a holesaw from harbor freight, you can do it yourself for $20. If you'd rather get it done professionally, it won't be any different. The only difference between professional job and doing it yourself is the cut will be slightly cleaner professionally. But it made no difference in the final product, I did one on my lathe and one with a holesaw, they look about the same and both function identically.