What's the stock flow rate for a E61?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
typeshige

#1: Post by typeshige »

I just got a ECM Synchronika with flow control.

To get a baseline, I've been trying to find out what a similar E61 without flow control produces with no filter in grams/second.

The closest I found is reference to 200-280 in 30 seconds as being 'ideal'. That's 6.66-9.33g/sec.

Does that sound right? That's a pretty big range. If I wanted to lock the flow rate as I figure things out, what value makes the most sense to start with?

Thanks.

wachuko

#2: Post by wachuko »

This is what I got with my Rocket (rotary pump) when I was doing the flow kit install: I did 20 runs at 10 seconds and weighted each run... Average output was 136.3 grams. So the average flow came to 13.6 grams/sec.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

DaveB

#3: Post by DaveB »

To have meaningful numbers, I think you need to start timing when the pump ramps up to full power/flow. The two vibe-pump machines I have timed take right around 5 seconds; rotary pumps such as in the Synch will be much faster.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

jgood

#4: Post by jgood »

From pulling the lever to start (on a vibe pump machine) to closing the lever I got between 7.9 and 8 grams /sec on my Quickmill E61.

Senftjc77

#5: Post by Senftjc77 »

So I've asked this question to WLL for my PP700 w/FCD. The answer I got is stock flow rate is 11g/s. So if you watch Marc's videos, he also alludes to stock flow rate being at around 1 1/4 turns of the FCD. I did my own analysis and on my machine 1 1/4 turns did match up to 11g/s. So it jived for me.
Profitec Pro 700 / I'm learning

cheez

#6: Post by cheez »

On my Bianca it's 6g/s

salvia

#7: Post by salvia »

I got 6g/s on my QuickMill QM67, for what it's worth.

I'm surprised to hear the flow rate on some E61's is double what I'm seeing on my QM67 and cheez reports on their Bianca.

typeshige (original poster)

#8: Post by typeshige (original poster) »

I just saw the video from WLL where they say stock is 11 too!

Thanks for the pointer.

You'd think the 700 and the Synchronika would be pretty much identical but on my Synchronika, 1.25 turns is only around 9.4g/sec. Maybe I should retry to make sure. 1.5 turns is 11.5 g/sec... but first thing tomorrow, I'll measure all the quarter turns of the lever again.

typeshige (original poster)

#9: Post by typeshige (original poster) »

Senftjc77 wrote:So I've asked this question to WLL for my PP700 w/FCD. The answer I got is stock flow rate is 11g/s. So if you watch Marc's videos, he also alludes to stock flow rate being at around 1 1/4 turns of the FCD. I did my own analysis and on my machine 1 1/4 turns did match up to 11g/s. So it jived for me.
Just curious, do you start off at the 1 1/4 turn or 11g/s when starting off with new beans?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas »

Perhaps the variance in water debit can at least somewhat be chalked up to differences in pump pressure setting. As for mine, I converted my own Synchronika, so I was able to measure. The stock setting was nearly 1.5 turns open, compared to the mushroom that came with the Synk. However, I usually run it closer to 1-turn. I retained the stock spring and this gives me a good pre-infusion time using the inbuilt feature of the e61. I grind quite fine and so even at 1-turn open, the brewing pressure is always well over 8-bar.