What is a "wear & tear" item?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

#1: Post by 858 »

Is a brew lever a "wear & tear" item? This is a 6-month old machine that is under warranty. The vendor insists this brew lever is a wear & tear item, not covered under the warranty. The language of the warranty lists things like gaskets, but it seems a stretch to exclude a (poorly designed) brew lever. If this is a wear & tear item, what else is a wear & tear item in your opinion? Important topic when considering short-term maintenance costs.

[To be clear, there was no unusual use here, just a cheap piece of plastic that failed]

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgwolf »

I would ask your dealer to send you a replacement. My suspicion is that it's not something they have in stock. "Oh, why would that be?" Perhaps because it's not a "wear and tear" item, but a defective part. A handle on a machine is NOT a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced on a periodic basis. Either the part is defective or the design is defective, and either way, the dealer should send you a new one.

BTW, I also recommend replacing the door handles on your car every 12 months, just to be on the safe side. :)

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would also ask that it be replaced with an all-metal lever of another brand if need be.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

CSME9

#4: Post by CSME9 »

Should replace it, not wear and tear item. Would think it should be all metal like most others are, push and pulling over time does produce some stress.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

An all-metal lever is certainly sturdier than plastic; most E61 levers that I've seen are all-metal, but not all. This is from the ECM Puristika:

Unfortunately it sounds like the vendor is assuming the owner broke it outside of normal use. FWIW, I have no concern about breaking the one above, but I can see how it's possible if I accidentally used it as a grab handle when lifting the machine.
Dan Kehn

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

FWIW, I have been working on E61 boxes for 15+ years and have NEVER seen the control lever broken. I have seen the cam so badly worn that the button behind it had cut a groove into the brass and the brass had worn the rounded tip of the button completely away, but the lever was still strong.

IMO That's definitely a defective part, but I guess my opinion doesn't matter. Perhaps fill in: https://www.quickmill.it/en/contacts/
and get their opinion of "wear and tear" and share your opinion of the seller if you have anything in writing. Manufacturers really do care how their importers are presenting their product.

slybarman

#7: Post by slybarman »

Agree with all - not wear and tear.

858 (original poster)

#8: Post by 858 (original poster) »

Thank you all for the feedback. This seems to be a build quality and vendor support issue (a bad combination for me). Good to know I am not as crazy as the vendor made me feel when asking for warranty support.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

They may be calling it "wear & tear", but it's my assumption they're really thinking it's misuse, e.g., the machine was picked up by that handle as I mentioned earlier. That said, the lever would be a lot more durable if it were solid steel; my guess is that the manufacturer intentionally created this split design so they could have different "premium" look handles for different models.

It's no comfort to you, but this may be hidden damage from day-1. That is, due to shipping damage or mishandling, the plastic connector had a hairline crack that finally gave way after 6 months of use. Barring misuse, that's the only plausible explanation I have for it failing, since it's hard to imagine simply moving the lever up/down for six months would break it.

Whatever the case, the vendor should let the manufacturer know about this failure, independent of assumptions about who's at fault. It may be an isolated case, but the manufacturer won't know if their vendors (or customers) don't tell them. As a goodwill gesture, it sure would be nice if the vendor made an exception and replaced it under warranty, or at least offered a replacement part for the cost of shipping.
Dan Kehn

thesharpener
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by thesharpener »

I wouldn't consider that part a wear item.

I am surprised that what looks like a thin plastic rod was used to mate two metal pieces. Seems like a strange design choice to use that material for that part, when it couldn't save that much manufacturing cost versus a solid brass or stainless rod. Maybe it was an aesthetic decision?

Either way, I think you are entitled to a replacement if the machine is within warranty.
Pete - LMWDP #572