What is a "wear & tear" item? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
romlee
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by romlee »

Curious to know, Dan, is the machine pictured your Puristika?
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

858 (original poster)

#12: Post by 858 (original poster) »

Thanks Dan, I appreciate that perspective. In the end, the vendor (reluctantly) agreed to replace the plastic piece connecting the 2 parts, but insisted it was a one-time exception that wouldn't happen in the future.

HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

858 wrote:In the end, the vendor (reluctantly) agreed to replace the plastic piece connecting the 2 parts...
:D
romlee wrote:Curious to know, Dan, is the machine pictured your Puristika?
Yes, it's an evaluation model from ECM. I plan to post a short review of it soon.
Dan Kehn

romlee
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by romlee »

Thanks, Dan. I've had one for a week. It's my first E61 machine after 16 years with a Silvia. It's been quite a week.

The machine I received was to have included the solution to the thermosyphon problem (bubble between the boiler and group head). So far, so good.
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

JRising
Team HB

#15: Post by JRising »

thesharpener wrote: I am surprised that what looks like a thin plastic rod was used to mate two metal pieces. Seems like a strange design choice to use that material for that part, when it couldn't save that much manufacturing cost versus a solid brass or stainless rod. Maybe it was an aesthetic decision?
There has to be some bakelite or wood or something between the human hand and the cam, otherwise you'd be getting badly burnt. If they want to have a shiny chrome end on the control-lever, then they have to have that kind of short insulating shaft between the 2 metal parts.

thesharpener

#16: Post by thesharpener »

There has to be some bakelite or wood or something between the human hand and the cam, otherwise you'd be getting badly burnt. If they want to have a shiny chrome end on the control-lever, then they have to have that kind of short insulating shaft between the 2 metal parts.
True, it must be there as a heat break. I guess the design could have been more sturdy, like the Puristika lever Dan showed. My E61 lever has a black piece of plastic threaded directly to the metal rod, which seems like the best, but not particularly interesting, design.
Pete - LMWDP #572