What is this espresso machine? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Headala

#11: Post by Headala »

Mad Scientist wrote:Thank you. That means a lot to me.

I will do a proper post later. So far I have taken apart the body parts, copper skirting, lower frame skirting and cleaned 20 years of dust off of it. Minimum of rust on the frame... The use of the water softener was not used during some of its service, but am hopeful of minimum replacement parts regardless.

<image>
I've seen my fair share of used machines and this one looks like it's in really great condition. I hope you are happy with it!

Chert

#12: Post by Chert »

When I saw this brought up, I wished I had been in Fort Walton to chase it down. Ever since Almico described one I've thought it would be a nice single group unit to overhaul/use. Nice catch.
LMWDP #198

sar5w

#13: Post by sar5w »

The single group Astoria Argenta Junior is exactly the same internally as the Rio Junior I have ($60 Rio Junior). They are great machines, super bomb proof and withstand even some freezing issues!

Parts are readily available through most suppliers and if you ever run into challenges, Astoria USA (geec.com) is in Greensboro, NC and has all parts available including body panels, trim pieces, etc.

I have rebuilt a number of these guys, 1, 2 and 3-group and they are pretty easy to work on. My favorite mod is adding a PID controller and SSR to make the temp control a little more precise than the .3 bar deadband of the pressurestat.

Have fun!

Mad Scientist

#14: Post by Mad Scientist »

Thanks for all the comments and links. :)

Siphoned 2L water out the boiler, expected gross water coming out but looked okay, then added 4L before flipping the power switch on. No black floating ball seen. Tapping at the base on the sight glass and up it floated. :)

Most all of the functions seems to be working at this time. I've been drawing water from a bucket for testing.

The pstat seems to not work when cold and first turned on, but with some tapping on the box it gets going.

The program buttons was working earlier and now are not with the error of all the lights flashing, my best guess on the check list is a clog, else low water in the boiler if the sight glass is lying to me (the black ball is up high near max).

The water dispenser, it was dispensing some water with about 80% steam, now it's all steam. What's that about?, low water in the boiler?

For tomorrow, I'll chase "the clog" around the flow meter line, to and from... disconnect lines and inspect inside the flow meter.

I could use some help, suggestions about my steamy water dispenser...

Truth be told... Today was the first time firing up a commercial espresso machine, it was an interesting day!
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

Mad Scientist

#15: Post by Mad Scientist »

Day two of my fiddling. Spot checked several pipes and lines, found a huge blockage, about 100%. This was the pipe from the boiler to the bottom of the sight glass, attached photo, solid black crust. Cleaned the sight glass. Filled up boiler and re-ran testing, program buttons worked normally.

Pump is not drawing water from the bucket. The pump cycles on and off calling for more water. I need to start looking for water main fittings. What is recommended, John Guest at Freshwater Systems?

I have black stuff in the boiler, what is this and can I clean it in place (CIP)?

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)