What has become of the Bacchi Stovetop renamed to a real review

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
opother

#1: Post by opother »

I recently got one used. It did not seem to like my modded Versalab, the flavor was good but crema was lacking and the pour very fast at a very fine setting. Maybe I have to try using different speed settings.

The grinder is fine because it produces fabulous shots on my maximatic at much coarser settings with lower doses (13.5grams vs 15 to 17grams for the bacchi.)

I was surprised when the Bacchi worked quite well with my OE Lido E. I did not get the same flavor separation as with the Versalab but it produced nice oily crema at a decent flow rate with great flavor regardless. I steamed some milk up on the maximatic and it also made a good cappuccino. This is something I could dial in.

Bacchi is new to me so I may have been opening up the brew faucet too much too soon who knows but I am glad it's not defective as proven by my Lido E shots.

My understanding is there are 3 different versions of the base the latest being the heaviest. Will my base eventually warp or do these newer heavier bases solve that problem once and for all.

I did have to adjust the pressure valve because it was whistling at about 5 1/2 minutes making a cooler brew I now have it whistling at 6 1/2 to 7 minutes at 3 1/4 turns of the adjustment nut (thank you Mr and Mrs Garrott for the how to guide.)

Using the Lido E I get decent crema now this may be counter productive but I want to get super monster crema just for kicks. Are there any blends out there that are particularly Bacchi friendly and will produce huge loads of crema?

My main gripe is the faucet to adjust the flow. I have to torque it tight to prevent any leaks. It works fine. I have taken it apart and inspected it but that faucet is anything but smooth. Another is the spout stopper works but a tiny amount leaks when pulling the shot. I suppose a tighter sealing o ring would solve that. It should be easy enough to get and slip on the plug as well as cheap. Is this problem common or is that o ring just worn ?

Advertisement
Charlene

#2: Post by Charlene »

Hi Den,

I'm glad you posted about your Bacchi Stovetop. I had never heard of it. It has a great SteamPunkish-ness about it. Hope you get the bugs worked out!

(someone's youtube):

Beanz

#3: Post by Beanz »

opother wrote: Will my base eventually warp or do these newer heavier bases solve that problem once and for all.
My understanding was that the main reason bases warped was because of the water evaporating and the base being overheated. I also suspected that some users may have over tightened the top nut when assembling stressing it.
A few other tips. The original grease used to lubricate the piston was thick and turned quite sticky. Pull the unit apart and clean and re-grease with Dow 111, the piston will then move more easily.
The other thing I have noticed is that if the unit has not been used for a while the piston will not move freely from it's resting position, it does not stick but needs some extra pressure to start moving. To overcome this while preparing for use just push the piston in a little to break the initial resistance / binding.
I agree the valve is not the best as it does feel like it needs to much pressure to seal it but it does work.
I use a gas burner and find that adjusting the flame allows adequate control over the heating time and would probably prefer that to adjusting the valves.
The Bacchi does make great espresso

opother (original poster)

#4: Post by opother (original poster) »

Yes the first thing I did when I got that thing was strip it to pieces and clean it. I used a thin coating of Dow 111 on the walls of the piston chambers in the pressure multiplier. Fortunately it seems I have one of the later ones with the stainless steel spring and latest (version 3) heavier base made out of extruded aluminum rather than the previous thin porous anodized cast aluminum one that was 31% lighter (version 1.)

There are three base evolutions that I know of, version one at 200gm, two at 240gm, and three at 263gm. I would not want version 1. I think version 2 is ok but of course I would prefer version 3 (why not.)

It worked like clockwork with no signs of leakage but that pressure valve was off and 5 1/2 minutes to whistling on my gas stove with flame about the size of the base produced warm shots that sucked . The same at various flame intensities on my stove. So I checked it out and as per instructions by Doug first made sure it was in spec by screwing adjustment nut all the way closed marking with a marker (my idea. I think ?) and turning it open to 3 1/4 turns and I'll be damned it worked within it's advertised time frame making the water properly hot when the whistle went off. No further tinkering was needed and boy was I glad.

Heating and time to whistle Issue fixed with simple adjustment of valve (3 1/4 turns.)

I wait for the whistle to whistle loudly.

What I don't know much about is it's quirks when operating normally. Much of what I read is either high praises from those who use it with no problems or criticism of defective units but nothing specific such as what kind of coffees work best, doses, I don't tamp but has anyone tried tamping does it work or is it a total no no ?

I have been using Uptown roaster (Brooklyn, NY) Author Ave Blend which on my Versalab set not far from zero still does not pull great shots. They taste really good actually more flavorful than my Lido E shots but really lacking in crema almost none. The timing and dose is about right for espresso when I set it really fine but without the oily crema adding to mouthfeel I feel more like I am drinking a shot of really delicious strong coffee rather than espresso. As I said before using the same beans with my versalab requires almost a good full 1/4 turn from zero using 14 grams to get a decent shorter shot out of my maximatic as opposed to 15 to 17 grams for the bacchi.

Versalab works great on Brewtus also using 17 to 18 grams of most coffees. Versalab also works great on my La Peppina and Europiccola at roughly the same grind settings. Does the Bacchi like a little more powder (fines) in the grind ???? What is the story, I just don't know.

It took me a while before I tried and figured out that Lido E works fine with the bacchi. Why ?????

My modded Versalab has speed control and although I have tried both one high setting and my usual low setting not much has changed in results. I really have not explored the full or most of the speed ranges of my versalab and suspect that may have an effect on this.

Can anyone share their learning curves with the bacchi is there anything in common with mine.

How tight do you need to torque that top bolt which holds everything together ? I read various opinions, some say torque it really hard others say you will warp the base if you do. How critical is this ? I guess I can just find out how tight it needs to be by trial and error but I would like to know if the line between too tight and too loose is a narrow one or not.

Someone who uses this frequently can tell me the answer. I torque it tight but I don't like that and would prefer to use a lighter torque which I will try again. It's early in the game for me so I am not sure if this will have any subtle unnoticed contribution to shot quality or lack of it.

#5: Post by opother (original poster) »

I have not taken into account that the pressurized water in the Bacchi comes up from the bottom of the filter basket not the top as in a portafilter. The distribution pattern of grinds out a Versalab lends itself well to the portafilter design and not well to a design where the water is pushed up from under.

In a nutshell stirring up the grinds and light tamping made what I would call espresso. My whistle blows at about 6 minutes and I let it whistle for another minute before pulling my shot otherwise I find it too cool.

I still have yet to master this and I think it has potential. I pulled one 2 oz thin shot with ugly light tan yellow crema that brought out what I believe to be the profile flavors of the coffee I was using and another thicker 1 oz shot with darker crema that tasted syrupy and not nearly as good.

Bacchi is different and I have to say I do not get easy effortless loads of extra extra thick crema that I read about in the rave reviews. The Bacchi reminds me a la pavoni lever machine in terms of being finicky and like a pavoni you have to get your technique right.

I have to say Bacchi does like my lido E grinds too.

#6: Post by opother (original poster) »

16 grams of LANDSKAP ECOTONE espresso roast date Sept 16, 2017 through the modified Versalab (thank you Terranova) stirred up with a needle in the filter basket. NO TAMPING in this one. One spout was used the other plugged.

I was thinking of using Lido E but I still have it set for coarse grind for that cold brew I did about 3 weeks ago and did not want to dial it in again for this espresso blend.

Since I have solved the mystery of how to make Versalab work of filter baskets that flow from bottom up with pressurized water (simply stir the grinds and do a finger level I am a real Sherlock Holmes aren't I,) Versalab was a logical convenient choice for premium quality grinds.

Bacchi whistled at ~ 6 minutes I then preinfused ever so slowly for about 10 sec before it started to flow then opened up for about 20 seconds. It filled my espresso cup to 2 oz with a thin oily layer of medium color crema (somewhere between light and dark leaning toward light.)

A large double shot that is not the ideal textbook standard of the perfect shot but I have to say this stuff tasted delicious, ever more so with a teaspoon of maple syrup.

This is another example of how different types of devices produce different but equally good extractions. I find myself writing that a lot.

I am getting better at using this thing which is encouraging.

My experience with Bacchi is that temperature (controlled by your stovetop technique) and preinfusion control (take it easy turning the knob and be patient waiting for flow) play a big part in the outcome. Timing is key to a lot of what it takes to make the Bacchi work for me.

I also get the feeling pressures generated can be significant depending on grind and amount of heat used and if overdone over extraction will occur. Bacchi also needs to be cooled before reusing or the time to whistle will be significantly shorter leading to possible overextraction as a result of excessive heat. Since timing is key I find I have to use a consistent reference point and that is starting from a cool Bacchi.

The Bacchi can be cooled with water from the sink and handled using oven mitts but before doing that wait for the piston to come back down observed by watching the spring unflex back to the open position as the pressure stabilizes with the faucet open. Again don't forget to open the faucet to relieve pressure in the filter basket chamber as well (put a cup under spout to catch that last of the liquid that will spurt out.)

If you cool Bacchi under cool running water in sink immediately after using it will work but a super strong vacuum will be generated in the piston chamber that will absolutely lock your base to it (I mean it it will lock and not come apart) and you will have to wait a good amount of time for the vacuum to go away before you will be able to separate the two parts to put water in the base. That is why I give it a few minutes to depressurize on it's own after brewing before introducing Bacchi to the water tap unassembled for cooling.

I was thinking of selling this once I played with it enough but I may keep it. It does have a uniquely good flavor that is not typical in any my moka pots or electric espresso machines.

1st line sells parts for this including the base. Should I get a spare base or is this good enough as is I don't know.

#7: Post by opother (original poster) »

Update I bought a new base and used it but I don't think I needed it since it the time to whistle is about the same for the amount of flame I used on the stove.

Today I made a full 1 3/4 oz espresso with full body, lots of dark tan crema, oily with full mouthfeel, not bitter, in fact it was smooth and a little bland but not unexpected for the style of coffee used.

I used 16 grams of an Italian blend (Esse Miscela Macini) ground with the TeraVersalab. It settled over the top of the basket. After leveling with my finger it was still slightly over the top of the basket. I then put the cover/spout assembly over pressed down and side to side before locking and loading the Bacchi to go.

I did not mix the grinds with a needle this time.

I got the loud whistle about 5 1/2 minutes and turned it off at about 5 3/4 minutes before opening the faucet SLIGHTLY and PATIENTLY waiting for flow. Ten seconds later (I think if you open full blast at first the sudden pressure might blast a path right through the middle of the grinds) the flow started rich and very dark before slightly stalling. I then opened it full blast and watched the crema oozing out into the demitasse (about 28 seconds plus the infusion I think ?) just like the advertisements.

I just watched the crema color and for the most part it remained stable.

This is the first high quality shot exceeding acceptable I have got from this thing. The coffee I used is a low temperature (my impression) Italian low acid dark roast with a fair share of robusta (I think) that excels in roast flavors.

A few impressions that are subjective and not to be taken as holy grail.

One the Versalab can work with the Bacchi without having to mix the grinds with a needle. Just thought I would add that.

Two this thing can make quality shots with the right coffee but may not get loads of crema with a high temperature bright coffee that is lightly roasted. The higher acid blends I made with the Bacchi tasted good despite thin crema.

Three this thing needs to be cleaned after each use without delay or things will get gummy real fast. I open the spout faucet and force crudely force warm water through to keep the facet from getting stiff and stuck. I also do the same for the spouts and screen.

I now have not doubts that the pressure in this is up to par but I get the impression you will have to work out a different timing and flame intensity routine to get the best out of more challenging coffee blends (bright and light and/or non espresso type) through trial and error and may have to do so every time you switch blends.

Advertisement

#8: Post by opother (original poster) »

Same blend and routine this morning but I stopped the pour a little earlier (total of about 28 to 30 seconds including pre infusion) and got about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ozs , now that reminds me does anyone know who sells clear demitasses with volume markings in ozs and mls.

Taste was not as bland as before with more roast/char taste (in a good way) along with a nice complex liquor like flavor and again dark tan crema.

Third run with Esse coffee at 6 1/2 minutes and the pull lasted 30 sec including pre infusion. I should have paid more attention to the flame and cranked it up a little more. It came out looking nice with lots of crema and did not taste terrible but it was slightly bitter and that charcoal dark roast taste really dominated over all the other flavors. It was not totally off the scale as far as lack of balance of flavors but surely not as good, balanced, smooth and complex as the ones I pulled at 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 minutes.

This tells me it has a good range of heat to choose from perhaps more than I previously assumed, but I am still playing with it so I don't have a complete feel for the full range yet.