What do you look for in a good tamper? - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Kelpburger

#21: Post by Kelpburger »

OlywaDave wrote:Those are really nice handles... Hand made does make them even better. It's been quite a number of years for me but the wheel is probably a great way to get a good grip profile on those handles. The design and finish look top notch too.

Looks like some really nice work though. I would imagine the clientele would be quite different and slightly more sophisticated for a ceramic tamp handle.
So glad you like them Dave! We've been playing around with lots shapes and color schemes over the past few months but the shape and Raffaellesco pattern that dave posted has always been what I was shooting for. Here's a picture of some prototypes with some different classic geometic designs.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#22: Post by cannonfodder »

Those designs look very reminiscent of the tile work I would expect to see in an Italian kitchen, nice. They would match a tile counter top or backsplash nicely.

Jon, those are a one-off custom. I had a machinist turn the brass inserts from a hunk of 3/4 inch bar stock. Once I get back from my business trip next week I will create a new thread to show them off. I have another set for my lever machine in the works with another wood as well. I don't want to hijack the thread any more than I already have.
Dave Stephens

OlywaDave

#23: Post by OlywaDave »

Yeah looks great. You should be able to call and talk to Brian or Devon about a piston and threaded insert.
David White
EspressoParts.com

Kelpburger

#24: Post by Kelpburger »

I was googling around and came across this on an Italian site. It's the first time I have seen it. I'm not fond of the looks of it but it's interesting to find there are others playing with force feedback tampers

Here's the Company line:

DYNAMOMETRIC TAMPER (patented)
The dynamometric coffee tamper is a simple device consisting of an aluminium body with a spring inside, replaceable according to the requested force. The extremity of this body there is a shoulder stopping the stroke of the piston, which is replaceable, too.
The piston holds a tamper with diameter on request. The dynamometric coffee tamper is used to solve the problem of the variableness and irregularity in pressing the ground coffee in the coffee filter, avoiding in this way the continuous variations of the grinding on the coffee grinder measurer (which is actually caused by the inconstant pressure of the coffee) and obtaining a more constant product also in the cup. lt is possible to act on the spring or on the stroke of the piston in order to change the force in pressing the coffee.

The main advantages in using the dynamometric tamper are:

Constant pressure on the ground coffee
Uniformity of pressing
Decrease of regulating operations of the grinding
More constant coffee in the cup

malachi

#25: Post by malachi »

Kelpburger wrote:DYNAMOMETRIC TAMPER (patented)
"patented"?!?

Ummm... anyone heard of "prior art"?
"Taste is the only morality." -- John Ruskin

HB (original poster)
Admin

#26: Post by HB (original poster) »

I wouldn't be too impressed by a marketing brochure's patent references. Consider for example the concave "original gourmet espresso tamper" (US Patent #D493,338). It's claim is "The ornamental design for an espresso tamper, as shown and described." No claims with regard to function. Zero.

Dan Kehn

Kelpburger

#27: Post by Kelpburger »

...and then there is this one. (What's the deal with canada and tampers anyway?) I stumbled upon it yesterday googling around. I guess it's already been mentioned on CG. Hey, it's Patent pending as well. :)

This one sounds a little more intriguing:

DEZCO TAMPER
$CAD 99.00

ALL-NEW
A perfect espresso shot every time!
FEATURES:
Spring loaded handle provide the very same pressure every tamp (near 30 lbs) !!!
The base has a shoulder that sits on your portafilter to get a perfect leveled tamp as well.
INSTRUCTION:
Place the DEZCO tamper on your portafilter
Push on the handle until it touche the base. Dont mind, any exceeding pressure WONT go on your ground!
Weight: 0.368 g
Handle & Base: Aluminium
Piston: Stainless Steel
Sizes:
57 & 58 mm
Patent pending

http://www.coffeecrew.com/content/view/175/27/

HB (original poster)
Admin

#28: Post by HB (original poster) »

I've admired the style and craftsmanship of Cafe Kultur from afar. Thanks to Teme, who offered to mail me one during his visit the US, I've added this lovely tamper to my collection:

It is deliciously finished and has a unique tapered handle. Thanks Teme, I love it!
Dan Kehn

Kelpburger

#29: Post by Kelpburger replying to HB »

Yeah, I love the woods they use. The handles appear to be pretty tall. Is it taller than the RB Bubinga?

HB (original poster)
Admin

#30: Post by HB (original poster) »

Kelpburger wrote:Is it taller than the RB Bubinga?
Yes, by about one-quarter inch. It's the first piston I've used without a chamfered edge, so the feel it definitely different. My hands are fairly small and yet the knob fits in my palm nicely. Of course it's much better looking than my photo suggests.
Dan Kehn