Weber Workshops Unifilter - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thesharpener

#11: Post by thesharpener »

From the Weber website:
For about a hundred years, the basic construction of the portafilter has remained the same.
I don't know, but maybe there is a reason it hasn't changed. I certainly won't be paying $365 for a porta (uni) filter.
Pete - LMWDP #572

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

TomC wrote:Already done and in route to me. I have a review unit on my Speedster.
I was wondering who would be first...the Hoff, Sprometheus, or our very own TomC! 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

cmin

#13: Post by cmin »

Who has actually had a PF or basket get damaged from soaks? I've always thrown in with other stuff like screens etc to soak in cafiza for years, never an issue. I have my main basket, HQ21, from like 10+ years ago that I still use and soak till this day, still looks new. Sorry but that marketing aspect made me lose respect for them, never heard of that all these years. Straight up snake oil bs marketing.
JRising wrote:
If we're going to be making up problems to sell $300 portafilters we should go with "No more accidental loss of baskets in the trash can, this filter basket never leaves the portafilter handle".
lol :lol:

Looks more like an VST in flow characteristics probably, so thats a no thank you for me. Light roast, dark roast, various machines, lever, profiling or not, every time I pull my VSTs out and play they go right back in the drawer. HQ baskets ftw!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

Leaving aside the price, the portafilter's hole placement/distribution seems intuitively better if one is willing to do the careful prep needed for light roasts ... kind of like the VST, but taken to 11. Interesting that the suggested workflow uses paper filters to go on the bottom, and a puck screen to go on the top. (The portafilter comes with paper filters and a puck screen.)

The thing that I don't understand is:
Since the basket holes are not tapered, the weight capacity is flexible, but we recommend 18-24g.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chipman

#15: Post by chipman »

Espresso hobbyists complaining about the cost of accessories??? LOL!
★ Helpful

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

cmin wrote:Who has actually had a PF or basket get damaged from soaks? I've always thrown in with other stuff like screens etc to soak in cafiza for years, never an issue.
Almost all of the used machines that I've purchased over the years have had their spouted portafilter's brass exposed where the chrome (or whatever the shiny plating is) has been worn off. Of course, we don't know the cleaning practices of previous owners, especially with commercial machines. On the other hand, I haven't had any issues with new spouted portafilters that I've bought (and cleaned daily with plain soap).

Getting back to the new Weber product, I'm not clear on why this is a concern with a bottomless portafilter ... or with the stainless-steel spouted portafilters available today.
cmin wrote:I have my main basket, HQ21, from like 10+ years ago that I still use and soak till this day, still looks new.
I have a collection of worn baskets from old commercial machines. Given the various machines' histories, the holes seem to get bigger over time - I presume as insoluble coffee solids wear away the metal. Eventually very hard-to-see cracks will form between holes, and after a longer time, the basket bottom will tear under the pressure of a shot.

However, a basket in commercial use might see about the same number of shots in a day as a home user might see in a year. In home use, I've only seen torn basket posts from people who have used the early 'v1' Silvia daily for 25+ years. (Note that the original 12g (nominal) Silvia basket is not the same as today's Silvia baskets, which are now "precision-made" by IMS).
cmin wrote:Looks more like an VST in flow characteristics probably, so thats a no thank you for me. Light roast, dark roast, various machines, lever, profiling or not, every time I pull my VSTs out and play they go right back in the drawer. HQ baskets ftw!
Funny, I'm mostly the reverse :P. I tried the HQ ridgeless and now they're in a drawer. The ridged HQ are a different shape from the ridgeless, but I have other baskets of similar shape/hole pattern. To me, the design of all those HQ baskets or similar seem to reduce the chance of side channeling. With a VST, I've found that careful distribution is needed to avoid side channeling ... but on some mornings I just want to grind, tamp, and pull - no scales, no timer, no RDT, no WDT, no OCD - and so, no VST basket on those mornings :mrgreen:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Plinyyounger »

No way, just not for me.
Family, coffee and fun.

BaristaBob

#18: Post by BaristaBob »

baldheadracing wrote: The thing that I don't understand is: "Since the basket holes are not tapered, the weight capacity is flexible, but we recommend 18-24g."
That makes two of us, considering I don't get the connection/correlation between basket hole shape and variable dose range.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Shakespeare »

I hear everyone loudly...
I understand the the cost and price issues....and some complaints about their misconceptions in their promoting
But...if this portafilter was part of your accessories kit provided with your new espresso machine vs the traditional standard version.
Would you consider this particular portafilter and upgrade or Is the conventional type a more suitable for better coffee extraction?
Is there no redeeming value in the Weber design and is their concept just foolishness?

cafeIKE

#20: Post by cafeIKE »

baldheadracing wrote:The thing that I don't understand is:
An old engineer's maxim: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh!t...