Weber Moonraker? - Page 37

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Schwabenbräu

#361: Post by Schwabenbräu »

DanielCroft wrote:Question for folks who are seeing channeling or no improvement in their shots after using the MR. Are you seeing chunks of ground espresso on the needles or potholes in the top of the bed of coffee after using the MR?
Chunks on needles - no, potholes - kinda...

Made a coffe today without any puck prep at all, best since the moonraker arrived :/

Will switch coffee tomorrow and will try again. Hopefully I will see better results. Maybe I will try to change the thinnest needles to thicker ones...

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#362: Post by Scott_29 »

Just so I'm clear, I didn't get any channeling with the MR and misread the post I actually replied to (my bad).

I just got no additional value over a simple RDT tool (Normcore or Pesado 58.5).

I'm very likely in the minority here but I get much more enjoyment doing the standard RDT than I did messing with the MR. I also found the MR to create more of a mess with grounds getting spread around outside the basket.

All this said, you can't steal the "cool quotient" away from the MR. I'm a watch guy so the design and concept is right up my alley.

slappadabass

#363: Post by slappadabass »

My latest testing with this points to the needles not really fitting all basket sizes properly.

I use an 18g VST basket. The shortest needles only go about 1/3 down. The middle needles scrape, and obviously the long ones do as well.

I just cut down the middle needles by about 0.3" and will try tomorrow morning to see how it goes.

I'd have to say that for me personally, it's very annoying to have to change the needles out for different basket sizes. That's not something I would want to do vs. a Duomo where you can just change the depth setting quickly. And no, I'm not going to buy multiple Moonrakers for each basket depth lol :lol:

JayBeck

#364: Post by JayBeck replying to slappadabass »

I use an 18g VST and don't notice that it scratches. How can you tell? I hear and feel nothing with or without coffee when I test it. I've also had the same experience with the EPHQ14g basket (no noticible scrapping).

PPapa

#365: Post by PPapa »

Sorry to be that person, but when people say "hopefully will see better results", are you referring to the taste or how the shot looks like?

Because I know what matters for me...

BaristaBob

#366: Post by BaristaBob »

slappadabass wrote:My latest testing with this points to the needles not really fitting all basket sizes properly.

I use an 18g VST basket. The shortest needles only go about 1/3 down. The middle needles scrape, and obviously the long ones do as well.

I just cut down the middle needles by about 0.3" and will try tomorrow morning to see how it goes.
Interesting, you say your MR has short, mid-length, and long needles...mine came with 3 short and 7 longer needles arranged exactly as in the illustration that came with the MR.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#367: Post by RapidCoffee »

Likewise: 3 short, 7 long needles. And if you change needles, note that there are two different magnet sizes for the two different needle sizes. At least, that's the case on my early model MR.
John

slappadabass

#368: Post by slappadabass »

BaristaBob wrote:Interesting, you say your MR has short, mid-length, and long needles...mine came with 3 short and 7 longer needles arranged exactly as in the illustration that came with the MR.
Mine came with a test tube filled with spare needles with three sizes: short, medium, and very long ones (pic below).

On an 18g basket:
  • The short ones only distribute half way down the basket
  • The medium ones scrape
  • The long ones obviously fit nothing and need to be cut
I'm getting really confused now hahaha

Used it just now to pull two beans with the shortened cut needles and no channeling. Came out super fast compared to the Duomo (8s faster pull), but no channeling at least.

DanielCroft

#369: Post by DanielCroft »

I emailed with WW about the needles included with the MR, they said that there were two lengths:
As for the needles, the long ones are 0.30 already, it's the short ones are 0.20.
Clearly I'm not arguing about whether or not some people may have a 3rd size, just what WW told me.

slappadabass

#370: Post by slappadabass »

I guess QC is down at WW haha. Mine shipped from Malaysia. Not sure if that makes a difference.