Weber Moonraker? - Page 36

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#351: Post by BaristaBob »

ajb1 wrote:Good to know thank you. I was thinking about trying nomcore or sworks Wdt but maybe I'll hold off.
As far as I know the Sworksdesign WDT is simply a manual handheld tool, like the LeverCraft, but with smaller needles (I think 0.3mm). Normcore sells both types.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

JayBeck

#352: Post by JayBeck »

I just received the Moonraker and have pulled about a dozen shots and it is flawlesss and easy to use. People having issues with it, I'm not following how because it couldn't be easier to use.

It is super premium as expected, with a perfect weight to it. It fits perfectly in all my 18g baskets (EPHQ, E&B, VST) and sits perfectly on the lip and doesn't move at all.

I've been using a Weber Key for about 18 months exclusively. When I got the Key I ditched all my WDT gear and it has been fine. My workflow was to use an Asso Jack Leveler after using the Magic tumbler. It did fine but wasn't always super consistent. As expected, the MR fully replaces and substantially improves the work of the leveler. Grinds level perfectly for a tamp and shots are flowing slower and taste better indicating less channeling across light and medium coffees pulled so far.

My experience mirrors Bobs. Don't sit on the fence. If you want consistent, full proof WDT that also levels your bed and you don't want a cheap 3D printed version, this is for you. It's beautiful to look act, feels super premium like a Weber product, and most importantly it just works. Can't ask for anything else. Worth every dollar.

Bean Counter

#353: Post by Bean Counter »

Been using the Moonraker for a little while now, recently serviced it with the suggested baby oil routine. It's now smoother than when I first got it, I can actually turn with one finger with slight pressure - although I wouldn't recommend you necessarily do that. I generally haven't had any issues regarding prep, been very smooth and consistent - some more pics attached.

DanielCroft

#354: Post by DanielCroft »

I contacted Weber about my MR and being unable to get the magnets I had to work. They offered to send me some. Very small neodymium magnets showed up that worked no problem. After servicing the MR, it works a lot better. Much smoother operation.

Curt

#355: Post by Curt »

Hello! Does using it with the LMLMini porta cause any tolerance problems? I'm looking for a WDT tool and I'm hesitating between this and Autocomb. I like the aesthetics of this one better but the fact that it cannot be adjusted in height and seeing that it is quite delicate scares me a little. Thank you!!

Capuchin Monk

#356: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Curt wrote:but the fact that it cannot be adjusted in height and seeing that it is quite delicate scares me a little.
I think height (easily) adjusting is a critical feature but for some reason they haven't updated it. In such case, Autocomb or other planetary WDT with height adjustment look more tempting.

Schwabenbräu

#357: Post by Schwabenbräu »

Hi,

How do you use the moonraker in your prep? I experience way more channeling than using the normcore tool... what I'm doing wrong here? Prob. 5 full turns at mediocre speed, neither slow nor fast... looks good before tamping...

Cheers

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#358: Post by Scott_29 »

Schwabenbräu wrote:Hi,

How do you use the moonraker in your prep? I experience way more channeling than using the normcore tool... what I'm doing wrong here? Prob. 5 full turns at mediocre speed, neither slow nor fast... looks good before tamping...

Cheers
This was my experience as well. I use a Pesado 58.5 wdt tool and get much better results with half the hassle.

I think the Moonraker is cool for sure, but it doesn't add any value whatsoever in my experience.

DanielCroft

#359: Post by DanielCroft »

Question for folks who are seeing channeling or no improvement in their shots after using the MR. Are you seeing chunks of ground espresso on the needles or potholes in the top of the bed of coffee after using the MR?

anaganomada
Supporter ♡

#360: Post by anaganomada »

Very interesting. I bought my MR from Scott_29 recently and it has worked perfectly for me. Probably ~30 shots so far with no channeling. I use it with a 20g ridgeless VST basket.
Scott_29 wrote:This was my experience as well. I use a Pesado 58.5 wdt tool and get much better results with half the hassle.

I think the Moonraker is cool for sure, but it doesn't add any value whatsoever in my experience.