Water level float easy fix

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
C8H10N4O2

#1: Post by C8H10N4O2 »

I own a 2 year old Profitec Pro 700 espresso machine. My only fault with the machine is that the water level sensor is very fiddly and annoying. The sensor uses a reed switch that senses a magnet in a float. When the water goes too low, the float sinks and the reed switch stops sensing the magnet, which shuts the machine off. Recently I couldn't get the machine to sense the magnet and was switching it to "plumbed" mode that disregards the water sensor. Not great since there is a risk of running a dry boiler.

I experimented by taking the water tank out and holding a small neodymium magnet to the reed switch sensor and the machine turned on. I happen to have some small flat neodymium magnets 1mm thick by 10mm wide and just snapped one onto the existing magnet on the float. Fixed the problem and now it works fine. I also tried using 2 magnets for fun, but 2mm is too thick for the float and magnet to fit into the holder. Hopefully helps someone who has the same problem. Ebay is a good source of such magnets.

nahau

#2: Post by nahau »

Good for you! On my Andreja, I complelety disabled the water monitoring. The Andreja doesn't shut down the machine anyways but just gives an audible alarm.... sometimes false alarms. Got tired of it and just monitor my own water usage.

Advertisement
breenmachine

#3: Post by breenmachine »

I did the same with a faema carisma. Just be careful that you keep the magnet sealed in something water tight or it will rust. I ended up 3d printing a new float and sealing it with wax.

Barberdolan

#4: Post by Barberdolan replying to breenmachine »

I am having the same issue with my Carisma. I will try the magnet trick also. Just wondering what you used to seal the magnet water tight to prevent rusting?

Thanks