Water Filter Changes & Rotary Pumps

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

First time changing water filter, where you need to clear the pressure in the line by turning off the source and then running the pump for a couple seconds to relieve pressure. I know not to run the pump dry, but was informed rotary pumps are burly and not to sweat it. These were instructions from Chris Coffee & Clive as well.

Anyway. Did the water change, when I turned on the brew lever it only needed 1 second apparently, so I was on/off in a flash. But even in that time I heard the pump make a funny noise, the "help give me water" noise. Spending $3k+ on a machine and hearing it is horrifying.

Is that how you all change your water filters? Is there a way to do it without activating the pump at all next time? Does it do any damage, or is it really a total non-issue?

2nd tangental question - when it comes to eventually replacing the rotary pump, is that something y'all do yourself, or do you bring the machine in? I don't mind paying someone to do it when it comes time, but hauling the machine will be a royal PIA so I'm more inclined to do it myself if it's pretty easy.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

As your machine is direct plumbed, I suggest turning OFF the ¼-turn ball valve before the filter (hopefully you have one), with the machine's power OFF, raise the brew lever either to the preinfusion level that is just before the pump switch activates the pump or all the way up or down, depending on you machine, as the power is already OFF. This should purge the supply waterline of its pressure harmlessly.

If your filter head has a purge valve it can be done that way too with the supply line cutoff in the OFF position.

I doubt you have harmed you pump and I would replace my rotary pump myself for reasons of cost & hassle to have it done otherwise. The more maintenance you do on you machine the more knowledge, experience and confidence you garner to perform even more complex repairs later on.

I say, 'Go for it'!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

dsc106 (original poster)

#3: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Thanks! I think that method makes a lot more sense. I'm a little miffed because I called tech support and had thought that exact thing up myself, and they told me it probably wouldn't relieve pressure unless the pump activated, saying the pre-infusion partial position wouldn't suck the water up and out. There was also question as to whether the pressure regulator between the filter and machine would allow any water to back flow down and out the purge tube (located between filter and pressure regulator).

Anyway, sounds like it was completely unnecessary for me to run the pump dry for a second like I did.

Its good to hear you doubt any damage. I suppose now I am more just looking for peace of mind that the "harm" done here was inconsequential, and that a rotary pump can handle far far more than running dry for a couple seconds?

Thanks again :)

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

The Pump Pressure Gauge on your machine is your guide. If it goes form reading line pressure to zero - you're all good! :mrgreen:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

dsc106 (original poster)

#5: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Doh! Of course! Obvious in hindsight. Well gee, I should have just asked here instead of calling tech support, lol.

Ok, everyone tell me again: my pump is just fine, my pump is just fine.