Was my La Marzocco Linea Mini purchase the wrong choice?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jdrobison

#1: Post by jdrobison »

For years I intended to upgrade from my Izzo to a GS3 but eventually talked myself into buying the Linea Mini. I was having a hard time justifying the $2K additional for the GS3 when I only make one espresso and one cappuccino per day. But in the 6 months since then I've already replaced the gicleur to slow the flow, upgraded the shower screen, and swapped the steam nozzle for the Slayer. And now I'm seriously considering purchasing the pre-infusion mod from Grafikus because I brew almost exclusively high altitude lightly roasted beans and struggle with extraction. And while I'm at it, why not add the Luminaire shot timer(s)?

So... By the time I'm done my $2K savings has just about gone to upgrades. If I bought the GS3 instead, would I have been better off? Do GS3 owners end up spending an additional $1K+ on mods and upgrades? And I mean functional/performance, not aesthetic mods.

tglodjo

#2: Post by tglodjo »

When you go with LM, you're also choosing aesthetics--at least for me. So even though I've been tempted by the GS3, I love the looks of my Linea Mini even more. That said, I do think there are advantages to the GS3. I prefer the mods on my LMLM though. I've gone down the upgrade path like you. I haven't swapped out the steam nozzle though--is it worth it?

Even with the Grafikus mod, you're still plenty south of the extra $2k a GS3 would cost, so I wouldn't second-guess things too much. I'm about to pull the trigger on this mod too. The Luminaire shot timer is nice. Check out the Ace DotShot timer if you're interested in something that looks better, though it's slightly more expensive. I also cut a hole in the front of my enclosure to install it.

Re: you're initial thought experiment. Would you really be tempted for the GS3 if you could get a Linea Mini will all the upgrades you've mentioned, including Slayer-like flow control, at $1400 less? I think the savings are still worth it. The mods you've added are miniscule when it comes to price/investment.

Just my two cents.

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

In my opinion the only GS3 worth buying is the one with flow control and because of the way it controls flow I personally consider it a no-go unless you fully plumb it, if you don't get that one, than why upgrade. The modded Mini will do everything a GS3 will in a smaller footprint using less water, so personally I think you made the right choice. And, given that you're comfortable doing the mods I think you made the right choice. IMHO.

Ira

arcus

#4: Post by arcus »

I also considered the GS3 but I prefer the looks of the LM a lot more. I also knew that I would eventually be able to modify it should I desire and have the best of both worlds. IMO, you didn't make the wrong choice.

jdrobison (original poster)

#5: Post by jdrobison (original poster) »

Isn't the difference between the GS3 and the modded Mini that the Mini will then have 2 flow rates (like Slayer), using the lower rate for pre-infusion, whereas the GS3 has variable pressure control? If my understanding is correct, then the mini wouldn't exactly replicate the GS3 in that regard. Whether one method is better than the other, I don't have the experience to say. Though if the results of either are reasonably similar, I still could lean toward doing the mod and stop wondering whether I'd be happier with the GS3.

jdrobison (original poster)

#6: Post by jdrobison (original poster) »

tglodjo wrote:I've gone down the upgrade path like you. I haven't swapped out the steam nozzle though--is it worth it?.
For $25 it was worth it since I do like to make cappucinos and prefer a nice tight foam for it. It's quite a bit more forgiving than the LM tip for someone who makes as many milk drinks in a year as a barista makes in a few days.

tglodjo

#7: Post by tglodjo »

Which one specifically did you get? When I search, I find a Voltage pack that has several different Slayer tips. I could definitely use that extra forgiveness!

Advertisement
itamar123

#8: Post by itamar123 »

I just purchased the Synchronika and waiting it to arrive next week and still thinking If I had to go for the LM + wood accent + mods. I think you made a great purchase!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Slayer makes a bunch of nozzles. Stock is a 1 but I use the 0 in a 350 ml pitcher.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mr2andy

#10: Post by mr2andy »

Instead of the slayer mod, why not look into the flow control mod that someone has already performed here on another thread.