WAFO baskets - Page 7

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Starspawn2318

#61: Post by Starspawn2318 »

Fausto wrote:Brain Quan's (sponsored) video had a few things to say on the subject. Basically the "Blend" baskets which are the ones with large gaps with no holes are meant to intentionally under extract with the goal of apparently ramping down the acidity of lightly roasted coffees (I would have thought it would do the opposite.

I remain skeptical of the WAFO's but look forward to other's experiments. More exited about Weber and Sworks offerings.
I saw that video. That explanation just doesn't make sense to me. Why is under extraction from their pattern of gaps better than under extraction from the edges you get with a regular basket? If the goal is to ramp down the acidity with under extraction, then a regular basket should do just fine.

rolex

#62: Post by rolex »

Are any of the 3 brands mentioned fully in stock and available for shipping yet? I'd like to try one

EricC
Supporter ♡

#63: Post by EricC »

The Weber Workshop version appears to be immediately available to order.

malling

#64: Post by malling »

Starspawn2318 wrote:I saw that video. That explanation just doesn't make sense to me. Why is under extraction from their pattern of gaps better than under extraction from the edges you get with a regular basket? If the goal is to ramp down the acidity with under extraction, then a regular basket should do just fine.
Your normal basket doesn't offer a predictable set percentage of a basket that under extract it will depend on basket on top you would have varying flow across the basket to much higher degree, this is probably a way to make that process more repeatable, accurate and less basket dependent, having a precision version guarantee that if you run several basket and groups that each give the same result, with a stock basket it will be all over the map.

Starspawn2318

#65: Post by Starspawn2318 replying to malling »

:lol: :lol: I'm not sure I believe that but thats the best explanation I've heard so far.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#66: Post by JB90068 »

EricC wrote:The Weber Workshop version appears to be immediately available to order.
They became available two days ago. I ordered one as soon as I got the notification. Will see how long it takes to get it.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Epicurus

#67: Post by Epicurus »

Unibaskets are expected to start shipping on December 26th.

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/12/20/ ... unibasket/

rolex

#68: Post by rolex »

Sheesh, they have an integrated basket portafilter thing and it's 600 CAD shipped. Holy moly!

Quick question about the basket, can you do different dose sizes in it?

Some days I've been liking 14.5g instead of 18g dose, can I do either in the same basket?

mathof

#69: Post by mathof replying to rolex »

I have dosed my Weber Unifilter with 15g without problem. The straight sides of the basket allow tamping to any depth.

Rob99

#70: Post by Rob99 »

Weber recommend 18-22g, but you can go lower, so they told me when I emailed them, if you use a puck screen. I think I am going to go for the WAFO as they are not recommending a bottom filter paper like Weber.