WAFO baskets - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
iyayy

#21: Post by iyayy »

malling wrote:9bar typically don't do any good with lighter roast I always peak around 6-7bar max pressure, 9 bar is from a time with dark like very dark roast often filled with robusta and coffee sitting in a doser. I honestly don't get why we hang onto that as it's rather unnecessary amount of pressure, many home levers don't even do more then 6 bar.
there is balance that you can only get at 9 bar, and i have a need for it especially combined with long preinfusion, as both pressure can affect the balance of the final cup. on my bdb i end up at 8.6 after half year and multiple adjustment, well easier just to say 9.

the pi matters much less for 6 bar.. but i find those shots not complex enough for my taste.

my balance of coffee must be as drinkable and enjoyable both hot or after its cooled down or placed in the fridge.
personally i'll take nell drip any time over 6bar. roast doesnt matter, tho i stick mostly to light.

But as james also said, you do you. i'll stick with my methods.
end of the day, if you enjoy ur cup then its fine.

Advertisement
malling

#22: Post by malling »

iyayy wrote:there is balance that you can only get at 9 bar, and i have a need for it especially combined with long preinfusion, as both pressure can affect the balance of the final cup. on my bdb i end up at 8.6 after half year and multiple adjustment, well easier just to say 9.
I personally never liked the effect of that balance, there is always some bitterness I personally is not a tremendous fan off, I think Hoffmann also refer to this in one if his videos.

the pi matters much less for 6 bar.. but i find those shots not complex enough for my taste.
6 bar is very much suited for a direct ramp up to full pressure, without a need to hold pressure/flow at given set of parameters. Some don't like the changed texture that typically is associated with that approach.

But I never prefer the longer pi with higher pressure, the blooming espresso is probably as far as I go in that direction but it's a bit a faff thing to do and I still prefer turbo and lower pressure shot over it.

my balance of coffee must be as drinkable and enjoyable both hot or after its cooled down or placed in the fridge.
personally i'll take nell drip any time over 6bar. roast doesnt matter, tho i stick mostly to light.

But as james also said, you do you. i'll stick with my methods.
end of the day, if you enjoy ur cup then its fine.
I'll never be a fan of cold coffee, that's not to say my coffee isn't fine cold I just don't find cold particularly of any interest.

But each to their own.

malling

#23: Post by malling »

BaristaBob wrote:And just like you said, there are many ways to approach an espresso beverage, be it changing grind, time, pressure, volume, etc. Personally, if these new baskets allow me to use less coffee it could offset the recent price increases, which would earn it a place on my coffee bar.
Anything that make us use less coffee is a win... one of my Local roasters coffee from one farm has went up 150% over the last 10 years. So if I can use 17g rather then I take that as a good thing. Where I live I actually noticed that lots of coffees in brewed actually dos better at 54-56g/l not that many years ago you definitely needed the +60g/l recipe and rarely did well at lower. So any effort that can make us reduce coffee usage is a gain.

As for the cost of these "super" baskets, like top puck screens, competition in the marketplace will cause the pricing to find a suitable bottom. Hopefully more in the $100 range, but time will tell.
The more competition there is on baskets the lower price we can anticipate, $200 (I don't even wanna know european pricing) is quite steep for a basket.
Edit: Just performed a back of the envelope calculation based on my current espresso consumption and average cost of my coffee beans...based on moving from 18g to 17g in the PF, that's a $60 savings per year (three bags)...now that's tangible.
Yep there is a decent amount of savings with brewing 17g rather then 18g

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Shakespeare »

Very impressive design and supposedly CNC manufacturing.
It is half the price of the Webb Portafilter. And who needs to purchase the whole portafilter when the basket would suffice.
And of course there is the Sworksdesign newest designed puck screen. Seems to be another excellent design and from
an excellent source. At a unbelievable price but is 'Sold Out' presently. Damn...&%#%...

martuney
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by martuney »

Yes, except for the puckology, Brian is pretty much describing to the T my exact experience with the Weber Unifilter!
I guess he is more skillful than I because the Unifilter forced me to really up my game as far as puck preparation goes! And I thought I was damn good at it; it's been years since I spattered my cup pulling a shot!
I agree, this may well be the future of baskets - at least for the high end market; I mean my Unifilter cost more than some people spend on their grinders! If you really enjoy the more traditional dark roast, chocolate-y style espresso, then it doesn't really make sense to spend this sort of money on special use baskets and portafilters like this, but if you love the clarity that big flat burrs produce, and love lightly roasted high altitude grown dense beans like many of us do, then you are really going to see a big return for your money! If you look at it from that perspective, it really isn't any more extravagant than spending hundreds of dollars on better or just different burr sets to achieve the same goal - that being more flavor profiles and being able to explore more different coffees and roast profiles!

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Shakespeare replying to martuney »

Yess, I believe as you our ability in stepping up the game with improved extraction support. One obvious way is the Webb Unifilter.
Do you think that there is a need for this new Sworksdesighn designed puck screen.

malling

#27: Post by malling »

Compared to unifilter this can actually be used with existing PF, so will work with all 58mm machines, if it breaks it's not a new PF, for me I honestly think it's a better idea.

I'll probably get one when it hopefully hit Europe sometime down the road.

Advertisement
bonjing

#28: Post by bonjing »

I think i saw somewhere that sworkdesigns and weber were also working on a basket only option.

ethiopianbuffman

#29: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

yeah they are both working on basket only designs but nothing like WAFO in terms of changing hole patterns or using lines instead of holes.

I have a suspicion that they will be $100+ for the basket.

Giampiero

#30: Post by Giampiero »

I'm not sure if i understood well, Brian the youtuber, said that the output flow does increase of 1ml/sec?
This means that, in a machine without any flow/pressure control device, the pressure above the puck does drop below our preferred/preset value?
Edit: forget about my post, i did not considered the necessity to grind finer :oops: