WAFO baskets - Page 19

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jaroslav

#181: Post by Jaroslav »

JB90068 wrote:No doubt if there is merit to the design, we will see someone doing a knockoff for less than half the price in the future.
It's happening :)

Jaroslav

Capuchin Monk

#182: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Jaroslav wrote:It's happening :)
It has happened. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805312993522.html

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#183: Post by Jeff »

Some inexpensive baskets that are "inspired" by WAFO have been tried here in the Bay Area and their mechanical characteristics were fair to poor. The bottoms deform permanently and significantly. The warnings about pressure limits by at least one vendor was, I am told, added after these refund requests. Some manufacturers/vendors seem open to modifying their products so that they are more robust. At this time, there isn't a "cheap" option that I have heard consistently good things about (other than price), either in person or on other forums.

I'll leave the philosophical questions around rewarding innovators vs. apparent copiers at that.

Capuchin Monk

#184: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Jeff wrote:The bottoms deform permanently and significantly. The warnings about pressure limits by at least one vendor was, I am told, added after these refund requests. Some manufacturers/vendors seem open to modifying their products so that they are more robust.
WAFO's recommendation mentions 5 - 6 bars, not the usual 9 bars. Video posted here :arrow: WAFO baskets
At this time, there isn't a "cheap" option that I have heard consistently good things about (other than price), either in person or on other forums.
In that Aliexpress link, "Type B is made of thickened stainless steel material, which can withstand pressures ranging from 7bar to 9bar" and it's $46.18 at the moment.

Mike0

#185: Post by Mike0 »

WW recently released multiple sizes for their unibaskets and reduced their prices.

Mike0

#186: Post by Mike0 »

Also, lance did a video about baskets
essentially confirming it increase extraction and reduces shot time.

Nicholas727

#187: Post by Nicholas727 »

I have a question re puck screens. I noticed WAFO's documentation that comes with the basket instructs you to not use a paper filter underneath or a puck screen. I don't understand the reason why a paper filter is not recommended - but the geometry at the bottom of the basket is different so I accept that. What I don't understand is why a puck screen is not recommended?

I just bought one and was of the understanding it makes a very subtle improvement to extraction and/or channeling. Should I carry on using it or follow their advice? :?: