WAFO baskets - Page 17

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kidloco

#161: Post by kidloco »

I bought Wafo 48h ago and sold it today. I do not say anything is wrong with it, I think it is made for specific light roast coffees, made in a specific way (not my cup of tea, pun intended).

poison

#162: Post by poison »

I received a Wafo with the Londinium I just bought. I'm super curious to see how this compares to a VST.

Steveevo9

#163: Post by Steveevo9 »

Starspawn2318 wrote:I understand the idea behind more uniform holes extending all the way out to the edge. I can see how that would allow for a finer grind and more even extraction and potentially improve in the cup results.

What I'm struggling to understand is the other hole layout designs like below:

If the idea is for an even extraction and we know areas without holes, like the edges in current baskets, under extract... then won't the areas without holes in these layouts underextract leading to overall uneven extraction? It seems counter to the idea that even extraction makes for better coffee... Why is under extraction from the edges bad, but under extraction from these hole designs better? That part doesn't make sense to me.
We'll most likely see some EY results between the different WAFO baskets by our members sooner or later. Maybe some of our engineer's or more knowledgeable folk might be able to shine some light on the subject.
Kind Regards

Steve

Steveevo9

#164: Post by Steveevo9 »

Jaroslav wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of these types of baskets, I think that's a trend actually worth following. But I won't agree with the trend of pricing these items until they're 100% proven to be worth it. Some of us are cautious after the 100€ levellers wave, many didn't further jump on that tamper marketing. I can't wait to hear more about these baskets from reliable sources.
I'm also interested in the WAFO baskets & some of the competitors options as well, but; the prices seem extravagant. This is amplified for people that have to pay for expensive shipping options, then import taxes & currency conversion on top of that.

Can these incremental percentages of extraction yield be quantified without access to a refractometer? If they can, then these newer designs maybe worth it to some people regardless of price.

Producing baskets from a billet of stainless steel is extremely expensive compared to stamping. The tooling required to cut through these billets are costly too & this will be reflected in their pricing.

Without offending anyone, how many of us really have a well developed palate that would be able to detect the nuances that these baskets may provide? Will you be able to pick which was the WAFO during blind testing?
Kind Regards

Steve

poison

#165: Post by poison »

poison wrote:I received a Wafo with the Londinium I just bought. I'm super curious to see how this compares to a VST.
I wasn't prepared to like this thing, but....I feel like it's a similar upgrade as from a regular basket to VST. Somewhat sweeter, and more clarity. I also feel like it would be a bear with a lesser grinder, just like the VST.

I don't think I'll sell it, anymore.

Capuchin Monk

#166: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Steveevo9 wrote:Will you be able to pick which was the WAFO during blind testing?
That should be the question to ask whenever the taste evaluation comes up. :idea:

Eiern

#167: Post by Eiern »

Do you owners find you need to cut the shots shorter with these baskets?

I need to cut my shots tighter with Pullman vs. VST 20g basket, and even more with a punched Chemex filter in the bottom of the Pullman.

It doesn't bother me as I did 1:3 with 98 SSP ULF burrs with VST and still not at 1:2 with Pullman + paper and I could tolerate going tighter. I do like more than one sip though. Concentration can also affect how easy or not it is to pick up aromas. Would maybe be more of a problem for those already at 1:2 ratio with their burrs and beans.

I'm thinking of getting Wafo/Sworks/Weber or similar basket just not sure which yet.

maximatica

#168: Post by maximatica »

For those thinking about the new basket types, I bought the Weber version, which did not fit the portafilter holder.

They now have a drawing that shows the dimensions; they did not have this when they launched the product and took orders.

So, on the WAFO and others, also check for this issue as it makes for a bummer to wait for six weeks or so, only to have to sell the unit.

HTH

Eiern

#169: Post by Eiern »

Oh wow, doesn't seem like it will fit my ECM bottomless portafilter well. And my main reason for wanting a basket over the Unifilter is matching the aesthetic of the machine, ECM has the same design for the lever handle as the pf handle.

CrabRangoon

#170: Post by CrabRangoon »

Eiern wrote:Oh wow, doesn't seem like it will fit my ECM bottomless portafilter well. And my main reason for wanting a basket over the Unifilter is matching the aesthetic of the machine, ECM has the same design for the lever handle as the pf handle.
Not sure if your message is referring to the WAFO or Unibasket, but the Weber product page cites:
Compatibility

- The height of the Unibasket is 26mm. If the existing basket in your spouted portafilter is shorter than that, the Unibasket may interfere with the bottom of the group handle.
- The Unibasket will fit most bottomless group handles. It is NOT COMPATIBLE with bottomless group handles by ECM, Slayer, Gaggia, and Breville.
LMWDP #505