Users of non-HX E61 espresso machines - do you warm-up flush before pulling a shot?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
boren

#1: Post by boren »

If you do, how much water do you flush or for how long?

I have a single boiler QM Alexa EVO and usually flush for about 3 seconds. I don't know if this is sufficient or if it's needed at all because I don't have a grouphead thermometer. It probably can't do any harm though...

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to boren »

I owned an Alexia EVO and a Scace. It doesn't need a flush for temp stability. Just flush to clean the screen after your shot and move to the next one.

The only "flush" i did was a few seconds after it sat idle during warmup before first shot. Partly just to get fresh water in the group and partly to mimic my post shot routine.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Tonefish

#3: Post by Tonefish »

If the Alexa EVO is a single boiler without HX, how do thy make the steam?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

boren (original poster)

#4: Post by boren (original poster) »

It's a Single Boiler, Dual Use (SB/DU) machine. You flip a switch and it heats up to 130c for steam. Takes about 2 minutes (which is too long for me. I use the MCaL for steaming).

Tonefish

#5: Post by Tonefish replying to boren »

Ah yes, now I remember you saying that before. :D

Really the only way to know and manage an E61 for temperature is to put a thermometer into the group. There may be times when you don't need a flush but the only way you'll know is to know the temperature, and the appropriate boiler set point will at least seasonally change.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Marosmith

#6: Post by Marosmith »

Doesn't need a flush but .5 oz flush either way I think is good best practice to clean the screen.

Flitzgordon

#7: Post by Flitzgordon »

It's always a good idea to clear some water before brewing a shot, whether it's SBDU, HX or DB