Urnex to descale? Am I making a mistake?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gfilicetti

#1: Post by gfilicetti »

Hey guys,

I've got the entry-level Saeco Aroma machine and looking to try my hand at descaling it. I read here that using citric acid is the way to go... I just wanted to check my facts on the other things I've heard:

- the Saeco manual says to never use vinegar to descale the machine... is this because of the stainless boiler?
- this machine was serviced once and came back to me with a couple of packets of Urnex. The stuff looks like what you'd use to clean out your glass coffee carafes from drip machines, is Urnex fit for descaling an espresso machine?
- I saw this stuff in a local kitchen appliance store by their espresso machines, anyone heard of it? It's pretty pricey at $13 a bottle: Durgol 0291 Swiss Espresso Special Decalcifier
- the machine originally came with a packet of descaler from Saeco, not sure if this stuff was the same sort of cleanser as Urnex, but the consistency was the same.

Any help is appreciated... even if only a link to some info on entry level descaling for a guy about to take his first shot at it.

G

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

- the Saeco manual says to never use vinegar to descale the machine... is this because of the stainless boiler?
Vinegar should not be a problem in stainless steel, although it probably won't be real effective. I know that the acidic cleaners or anything with TSP et.al. should not be used on aluminum.
- this machine was serviced once and came back to me with a couple of packets of Urnex. The stuff looks like what you'd use to clean out your glass coffee carafes from drip machines, is Urnex fit for descaling an espresso machine?
Urnex is a brand... what is the other name on the packet? Urnex Dezcal is excellent for descaling as a general recommendation. Whether it is compatible with your machine or not is another question.
- the machine originally came with a packet of descaler from Saeco, not sure if this stuff was the same sort of cleanser as Urnex, but the consistency was the same.
It should list the active ingredients.
Any help is appreciated... even if only a link to some info on entry level descaling for a guy about to take his first shot at it.
Take a look on my website. Lots of stuff there, particularly in the right-hand column for answers to these questions in general.

G
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

gfilicetti (original poster)

#3: Post by gfilicetti (original poster) »

Actually, I saw photos of the Dezcal product and it jogged my memory.. this is what was included in the Saeco Aroma's box.

However, the Urnex packet that came from the repair shop was not Dezcal. It says "Coffee Equipment Cleaner". Active ingredient: Sodium Tripolyphosphate

I'd hazard a guess that this is the stuff I would soak my portafilter and filter basket in, right? Obviously not a descaler....

Thanks Randy (love your site btw.... though I'm still only a third of the way through your story).

G

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

The Urnex product that is used to clean portafilters, baskets, etc. of coffee residue is Urnex Cafiza. There exists similar products on the market such as Joe-Glo. I do believe that Urnex also makes Dezcal which is a descaling product.

The primary ingredient, AFAIK, in Cafiza is Tri-Sodium Phosphate, affectionately known as TSP. The primary ingredient in Dezcal is probably citric acid. It is highly likely that MSDS sheets on these products are available on the Urnex website. I certainly defer to the chemists in our forum - we do have a few :)

In addition to Randy G's site, you might enjoy a visit here: http://www.partsguru.com/SaecoHomeEspresso.html
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com