Upper limit to portafilter size?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pocojoe

#1: Post by pocojoe »

Hi everyone,

Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the scalability of espresso machine design? Specifically, I am wondering how scalable portafilters might be. My experience tops at at a triple basket. But, if you are trying to serve large groups of people would it be possible to make Americanos by the gallon if a properly scaled portafilter could produce a giant shot of say, 16 ounces of product?

My assumptions are that water pressure, and net flow rate of water per unit volume of ground coffee should be similar to current designs, but my question is should the thickness of the puck remain fixed, with the area of the bottom of the portafilter increasing linearly with increased shot volume? My intuition says yes, that making a very thick puck would change the dynamics.

Thanks for your thoughts - this is a serious enquiry.

Joe

It has been a while. It is good to be back!
PocoJoe
Safety Third- First Roast, then Grind

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Vintage espresso machines had a "hotel group" for brewed coffee, but I think it was more percolation and not puck based.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pocojoe (original poster)

#3: Post by pocojoe (original poster) »

Burning Man Project...
PocoJoe

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

pocojoe wrote:I am wondering how scalable portafilters might be ... should the thickness of the puck remain fixed, with the area of the bottom of the portafilter increasing linearly with increased shot volume?
Short answer:
Probably.

TLDR answer:
If we regard espresso brewing as a form of column chromatography, then the puck height (but not the cross sectional area) has an impact on extraction. "In chromatography, peak width increases in proportion to the square root of the distance that the peak has migrated." (ref) In other words, increasing the column height by a factor of 2 spreads out the peaks by a factor of 1.4. So increasing capacity with a taller basket/puck should "elongate" the extraction.

This is a rough approximation, because espresso ain't exactly column chromatography. It's a variation in which the column itself is being extracted, for a relatively short period of time. This complicates matters with an extraction gradient in the puck (top layers extract more than bottom layers). But once again, this gradient is dependent on puck height, not cross sectional area.

Interesting topic. Welcome back!
John

#5: Post by pocojoe (original poster) »

Thanks for the response. It follows my intution. I'll let the group knows how this works out. There are some very nice itsy bitsy pressure cookers on Amazon that better look out... I've got my eye on them!

Joe
PocoJoe

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Check out Enrico of Italy, unsuccessful large portafilter on a home lever.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#7: Post by pocojoe (original poster) »

Interesting. Will try to avoid making the world's largest Mocha Pot.

I am going to get me a small (2 liter) aluminum pressure cooker and turn it into a portafilter.

It will be interesting.

Joe
PocoJoe

jyl

#8: Post by jyl »

How about something like

OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Potato Ricer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCJQ/re ... gDbBZWWV5B

As a starting point?
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

C-Antonio

#9: Post by C-Antonio »

Form what I vaguely remember about the subject you will have to go with an increasily wider portafilter, proportion wise you will have to increase more in width than in height.
Then if you end with a wide portafilter, early coffee machine style, you will have to make a proper group with appropriate size showerscreen, good water distribution, and getting the proper pressure over the whole puck.
In creating an espresso machine for Polyphemus you will probably magnify also all the tricky bits of actually making a good espresso that have nothing to do with the machine per se'.
Have fun with your experiment, after all thats the point of tinkering.
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

curmudgeon

#10: Post by curmudgeon »

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I would imagine at some level, making sure you've got laminar flow of your water column would be beneficial, as this could encourage more even extraction across a large puck (I envision channeling will be a major issue). There are several homemade gadgets that can achieve that, but may not be up to the task at espresso temperature and pressure.