Unsure about steam wand and water bursts

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lilayZee

#1: Post by lilayZee »

Hey,
I'm new to this forum. I just purchased the Breville bep920. I'm not sure if im being padantic or not but after spending so much on a machine I want to be 100% certain everything is in order! When i use the Steam wand water bursts out of it every 3-4 seconds. I know its normal for water to come out initially whilst purging it, but after the purge small jets of water come out every so often. I don't really know anything about espresso machines so was wondering if this is pretty normal or is any water coming out of the steam wand during operation considered a defect.

I did call breville directly and they told me to descale the machine which I found very strange since it was happening before I even used it. When I told the the guy on the phone he just said do it anyways incase there is some dirt or something stuck in the machine from manufcaturing, and if its still happening then you'll need to look at sending it in for repairs. Should I try descale the machine if this is infact a defect, or is descaling a machine when not necessary not a good thing.

Thanks

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

You are receiving poor advice from that particular Breville rep. I suggest you call the retailer who sold you the machine first.

Let the machine warm-up for 30-45 minutes and see if the problem still occurs. If so, this should be a warranty issue.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

lilayZee (original poster)

#3: Post by lilayZee (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. I will give them a call and see what they say. So it is strange for any shoots of water to come out at all? Is it supposed to just be clear steam with no little shoots of water?

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

It should be as you said:
I know it's normal for water to come out initially whilst purging it, but . . .
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

Provided it has had plenty of heat up time, at least a half hour, you will get a little spurt of water from condensation when you open the valve on any machine. However, it should not continuously spit water, sounds like your boiler level probe is set to high.
Dave Stephens