Understanding the impact of OPV settings?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
simmo

#1: Post by simmo »

Can anyone in simple terms please shed some light on the impact that an OPV setting has on the performance a vibration pump HX machine. I am currently looking at the Bezzera Domus Galatea which has an OPV set at 11bar (and it is not made to be adjusted).

Does this setting basically mean that the machine will allow up to 11bar of pressure in the group before releasing the pressure i.e. a safety mechanism, or does it actually effect the flow rate on every shot regardless?

Similarly does a machine with an OPV set at 9 bar simply ensure that higher pressures cannot be reached and therefore compensates for barista technique that would otherwise see the brew pressure reach higher levels?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I believe that Vibe pump's OPV (over-pressure valves) explained and I still don't get it: Why adjust the OPV? answer your questions (from the FAQs and Favorites Digest).
simmo wrote:Does this setting basically mean that the machine will allow up to 11bar of pressure in the group before releasing the pressure i.e. a safety mechanism, or does it actually effect the flow rate on every shot regardless?
If I've understood you correctly: Yes and yes.
simmo wrote:Similarly does a machine with an OPV set at 9 bar simply ensure that higher pressures cannot be reached and therefore compensates for barista technique that would otherwise see the brew pressure reach higher levels?
Yes, but I wouldn't say "compensates for barista technique." The short answer is the OPV serves the same purpose as the bypass valve on a rotary pump: To regulate the maximum pressure. There's differences in mechanics, but the goal is the same.
Dan Kehn

jesawdy

#3: Post by jesawdy »

I took a cursory glance of page 11 on this PDF (link). The OPV looks like it should be adjustable, but do you know that it is not? It looks like the entire assembly is sold in 12 and 14 bar versions (for vibe and rotary pump versions respectively). If you can decrease the spring tension (item 2, pg 11) by adjusting the length of the barrel by turning item 1, you should be able to lower the OPV setting. You could also try swapping springs if you had to. It looks like the over pressure release goes to the drip tray.

I had just reread the threads that Dan linked above, hopefully they will answer your question and not confuse you too much. This PDF is linked from one of the threads, and is worth a read.
Jeff Sawdy

simmo (original poster)

#4: Post by simmo (original poster) »

Many thanks for all the info - think I'm understanding the role of the OPV better now. I'm told that the Galatea's OPV can be adjusted but it is not an easy job - hard to access and Loctite therefore needing some force to break the seal.

I think i'll see how the machine performs and decide whether to experiment with altering. One last question....At 11 bar how often would the OPV be activated? i.e. for a correctly dosed and tamped standard double shot of espresso would you expect the group pressure to get anywhere near 11 bar - or does it come more into play with ristretto's/single shots where you are creating more resistance with the coffee puck?

8)

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

You need the OPV because the flow rate of the pump at 9 bar is too high, on the order of 200ml/minute.
http://www.ulka.it/eng/e4_gra.htm

If dose to maintain the pressure at 9 bar, you better have a VERY large cup.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

NICE MACHINE! Kade -

I believe the Bezzera Galatea Domus hydraulic system is somewhat unique. Another machine with identical hydraulics is discussed here:

No temperature control needed for ECM Technika III?

Also, one of the moderators of this forum: http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/ is the Australian importer of Bezzera machines.

The Ulka E4 pump may be "driven" to a ~ 12 bar discharge pressure because of the check valve shown in the pdf that Jeff S. referenced. But ~12 bar at the OPV valve (suppresion valve in Bezzera's lingo) probably translates into ~ 9 bar at the puck. In any event, I would not go about adjusting any OPV until YOU know what YOU have AT THE GROUP with the flow through the group that YOU desire.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com