"Turpresso"? Turkish coffee with an espresso machine. - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jpender

#11: Post by jpender »

I think Chert has it right.

But I also suspect you are setting the bar too high. Before Turpresso you probably should try something a little more manageable first. Like making percolator coffee with a siphon. Or Cowboy coffee in an Aeropress. Then attempt to disassemble your espresso machine with only one tool, a ball peen hammer. If you are successful with those then maybe try Turkish with an espresso machine.

https://www.talkspace.com/

GDM528 (original poster)

#12: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

Chert wrote:blind basket
Blind basket - genius! It just so happens (although probably not unusual for a HB poster) that I have a large blind basket with an integrated thermocouple. Don't think I want to introduce my group head to sugar however, so that will have to wait. "Slurry" sounds like an interesting new tasting note.

GDM528 (original poster)

#13: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

jpender wrote:you are setting the bar too high.
Eyes wide open on that one. I'd rather drown in the deep end of the pool.

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

I was also curious so I tried 9g with a Niche set to 0 (I love that it doesn't struggle). In a Robot basket, so couldn't tamp it (tried with an aeropress plunger but it'd just suck up the puck when removing).

Pre-heated the piston and let it drip with the slightest amount of pressure for 2 minutes (about 20g of drops) and then increased the pressure to 2 bars to push the rest through in about 30s for a ratio of 1:8,9.

A light roast, only slightly bitter but there was a bit of astringency - roughly the same as a nicely brewed cup of black tea. Mouthfeel and texture was nice and a little oily, but still lacking compared to the real thing. ~2.6 TDS and unfiltered EY seem to measure about 22-23% (can anyone point me to the brix to tds coefficient at low strength?)

Not bad actually. Felt like a combined ibrik/aeropress/espresso. The main note was actually sweetness and it had a long aftertaste.

jpender

#15: Post by jpender »

An Aeropress plunger in a Robot to make Turkish coffee...

I wonder how many different brewing devices could be linked, Rube Goldberg like, to produce coffee in the style of a different brewing device?

Chert

#16: Post by Chert »

There is a coffee roaster here in Washington that represents a Greek Orthodox community and at their cafe where one can enjoy tasty treats like baklava and other sweets or savory ones like spanakopita or dolmades - Great stuff! - but the greek coffee made with the steam wand of their espresso machine was not a pleasure, the one time I tried it. Nothing like a proper froth-up in a briki.
LMWDP #198

jpender

#17: Post by jpender »

I bought a propane torch a couple of years ago with the plan to use it to kill weeds growing out of concrete cracks. It didn't occur to me that inverting the torch to point it at the cracks wouldn't work because the liquid fuel would then feed into the burner.

But now I'm thinking: Maybe I can make Turkish coffee in the cup just by pointing the torch at the liquid.

Oh wait, I'd have to invert the torch for that too. Never mind...

Chert

#18: Post by Chert »

& spill less coffee probably :lol:
LMWDP #198

GDM528 (original poster)

#19: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

Chert wrote: Nothing like a proper froth-up in a briki.
Exactly. The process (ritual?) is a huge part of the experience. My results so far produce no froth, just lessons learned. Using a steam wand to make coffee sounds like it would be messy.

jpender

#20: Post by jpender »

I wonder if you could just microwave a cup of water with Turkish grounds to get something close to the real thing? You'd have to have your finger on the control pad to throttle the power but maybe it would work.