Timer for 220v R58 with step-down transformer?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Pour_Slow

#1: Post by Pour_Slow »

I've searched the forum for something similar to this, but wasn't confident I found exactly what I needed.

I have an R58 purchased in Europe (220v) that I am using in the U.S. with a step-down transformer.

I'd like to put it on a timer or smart plug so it is warmed up when I wake up...but I know nothing about electricity or engineering and am fearful I'll melt something, burn my house down, or damage my machine.

Is there a simple and safe solution to this?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

You're unlikely to damage anything. You do need to measure the current drawn by your machine or calculate it. Most espresso machines draw 1400 to 1500-Watts. You can check on the plate on your Rocket. The current is the power in Watts divided by the mains voltage (120-nominal). If I'm correct, then it should run off any regular 15-Ampere outlet, which is likely what you have it on. So, you just need to buy a smart plug that will handle 15-Amps of current. There are quite a few of them on Amazon. Likewise, if you choose a timer, just be sure it will handle at least 13-Amps of current.

Pour_Slow (original poster)

#3: Post by Pour_Slow (original poster) »

Thank you, that's helpful.

Do I need to measure the draw of my machine at the transformer (as in, what's listed on the plate on the rocket), or at the wall (as in what getting drawn through the transformer), or does that even make a difference? Does the load from the transformer fluctuate, or does it keep things pretty steady? (Sorry if those are uninformed questions, electrical is way outside my world of experience)

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You would need a Smart Plug that would handle the load of the espresso machine and the transformer.

Check the specs of the espresso machine and the transformer; add the two (in Watts) together.

Probably a Wemo like this should do:

https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Compa ... mo&sr=8-16
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#5: Post by Pour_Slow (original poster) »

Great. Thanks. I'll check out the specs for the transformer tomorrow.

Based on everything I've read on this site, that is exactly the plug I was thinking (Wemo Insight: 120V/15A/60Hz/1800W). So, if I understand correctly, if the watts on the R58 plate + watts from the transformer label are equal to, or less than, 1800w, then I should be fine.

Against my better financial judgement I'm kinda on the cusp of getting a DE1+ (v1.1) before they're gone...so this may all be for not. But in all likelihood I can't afford that move, so a $50 smart plug may be best.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

I'll check out the specs for the transformer tomorrow.
You're not likely going to find anything, especially if the converter is of Chinese origin. Autotransformers are very efficient, as they have a single, tapped winding. The losses in the transformer are expressed as heat, not that this gives you much comfort. But, if you're currently using the espresso machine on a standard 15-amp socket, then a 15-amp smart plug will work. If you really want to know, then you need to measure. The easiest way is to borrow a Kill-A-Watt meter. IT plugs into the mains and the load plugs into it. The power consumed is displayed on a small screen on the unit. They start at about $20 on Amazon and quite handy to have.

#7: Post by Pour_Slow (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:...They start at about $20 on Amazon and quite handy to have.
Done! Ordered on Amazon. Seems like a good thing to have around. Thanks!

#8: Post by Pour_Slow (original poster) »

Thought I'd post an update for anyone interested in what I learned. Kill-A-Watt meter to measure the following.

Power draw experiment
Euro Rocket R58 220v w/ transformer to U.S. 110v socket.

Machine warm up: 1373 W

Pouring no portafilter in place: 1519 W
Steam only: 1519 W (no change)
Hot water only: 1519 W (no change)
Hot water + Steaming: 1530W
Pouring packed portafilter: 1519 W (no change)
Pouring with packed portafilter + Hot water: 1537 W
Pouring with packed portafilter + Steam : 1558 W

Max spec for smart plug: 120Vx15a= 1800W

Will use smart plug as timer to wake up to warm machine.