Tilting shot glass when pulling espresso shot

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
starbucksjax

#1: Post by starbucksjax »

Hello mates, just want to hear some opinions here.

So the espresso machine that I use at work is Mastrena 2. Sometimes I like to tilt the cup/shot glass when I'm pulling espresso shots so the shots don't have bubbles in them. One of my supervisors said I shouldn't do that and something about aerate. So what do you guys think of that? Is it okay for me to tilt the cup?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

At your job, do what your supervisor says.

At home, do whatever you want.

espressotime

#3: Post by espressotime »

starbucksjax wrote:Hello mates, just want to hear some opinions here.

So the espresso machine that I use at work is Mastrena 2. Sometimes I like to tilt the cup/shot glass when I'm pulling espresso shots so the shots don't have bubbles in them. One of my supervisors said I shouldn't do that and something about aerate. So what do you guys think of that? Is it okay for me to tilt the cup?
Why does the machine produce bubbles? Never have had that happen on any of my machines.

JR_Germantown

#4: Post by JR_Germantown »

What's the point of using a shot glass, anyway?

Jack

MNate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by MNate »

An espresso authority has noted you'll get more crema if your glass is closer to the portafilter and less if it's lower. I bet tilting does limit some things as in pouring a beer. You can usually tap the cup to get rid of the bubbles (and likely dissipate some crema as well), but your boss may not like that either. But yeah, maybe play with why you're getting larger bubbles in the first place? Do they come because of some uneven flow or maybe just at the end of the shot your machine isn't shutting off smoothly?