Tight portafilter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
karamba

#1: Post by karamba »

So finally I unpacked my brand new Rocket Evo R and tried my first cup of coffee from it.
I came with two portafilters and the seller kindly included 3rd party bottomless portafilter.
However all three are very tight in the machine. I have to put more than expected efforts tighting them to the point that the front panel of the machine flexes very visibly. I still cannot turn the portafilter so it is square to the machine. The handle faces a bit left.
However when the portafilter ( any of the three) is hot as it should be I can barely turn it all. It is extremely tight. I tried them empty so the amount of coffee is not the cause.
Will it loose up with time or I have to take some measures now ?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

This is common. You don't need the handle to be square to the machine. You don't need to tighten beyond the point where the portafilter seals. If you continue to turn so hard that the machine flexes I fear you'll bend or break something. If the gasket is silicone it will stay like it is, more or less. If it is the usual rubber, it will compress with use until, eventually, it becomes hard and will need replacing.

Yukonista

#3: Post by Yukonista »

You can always help the gasket break-in by putting some water on the basket lip and locking the basket in when the machine is cool. Do this a few times and it will help set and break-in the gasket. You could always get some food grade lubricant and put a bit on the gasket surface.
Or, pick up the E-61 Cafelat Silicone gaskets.
Otherwise, don't stress about the handle position, as long as its not loosening or leaking during use.

Aguirre

#4: Post by Aguirre »

Although the previous comments mentioned that, I'll just be very specific here on this, since I believe you're basically assuming that espresso machines are designed to operate with a 90-degree angle portafilter handle. This is NOT the case.

Tango_Golfaus

#5: Post by Tango_Golfaus »

You are incorrect about not needing to be 90 degrees.
Reading straight from the manual from my Rocket Mozzafiato. "The portafilter is inserted properly once it is firmly inside the group head and the portafilter handle is sitting at 90 Degrees from the face of the machine"

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Tango_Golfaus wrote:You are incorrect about not needing to be 90 degrees.
Actually, you are incorrect. I would venture to say that most portafilters are NOT 90 degrees when inserted. It all depends on the thickness of the gasket and how new it is.
Scott
LMWDP #248

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Let's be reasonable here. Of the dozens of espresso machines I've used, I cannot name one that doesn't lock in at approximately 90 degrees when new, which is what an owner's instruction manual would assume. I agree with sweaner that as the gasket wears, it requires additional tightening.
Dan Kehn

slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck »

My bottomless does the same thing
As long as there is a seal between the gasket and the portafilter and it won't come out, that's all that matters.

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas »

Will it loose up with time or I have to take some measures now ?
I had the same issue with my brand new Magister some years ago. The portafilter would barely lock in. Don't worry. Yes, as the gasket is used it will compress a bit. As long as it stays in and seals there's no problem. However, if it bothers you, look online for portafilter gaskets. You'll see that they can be had in different thicknesses. Go down a half mm and the portafilter will seat farther in. Also, chances are your OEM gasket is rubber. Once they compress they be come very hard. If you switch to silicone (Cafelat) you'll find they have much more give and don't harden.

lagoon

#10: Post by lagoon »

Tango_Golfaus wrote:You are incorrect about not needing to be 90 degrees.
Reading straight from the manual from my Rocket Mozzafiato. "The portafilter is inserted properly once it is firmly inside the group head and the portafilter handle is sitting at 90 Degrees from the face of the machine"
I think you are being overly literal here.

It's quite normal for the portafilter to lock in anywhere between the 5-7 o'clock position.

There's a number of factors that affect it such as the age, thickness and material of the gasket in the group head.

The rubber ones get a bit of a compression groove over time which means the portafilter will move further towards the 5 o'clock position as it ages.

Whatever you do, don't force it past the point it becomes tight just because of a theoretically perfect 90 degree position.