Thinking of adding a PID to Silvia...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Beavis

#1: Post by Beavis »

Is this a good idea?
Does this ensure precise brewing temperature every time, right around 200F? Does it greatly enhance my shot quality?
The cost is about $240.
I'm trying to get great consistent shots from Silvia. I'm now getting good shots.
I figure that the brew temp is the biggest inconsistency with Silvia and this PID will solve that issue.
Please help!
Thanks, Beavis

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Beavis wrote:Does it greatly enhance my shot quality?
No. It will eliminate temperature surfing, which greatly increases the convenience, but the "absolute" potential espresso quality will remain the same. How much is that added convenience worth to you and how long will it stave off thoughts of upgrading?

There are mountains of diagnosis discussions surrounding the Rancilio Silvia. Here's a sample of my favorites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. I enjoyed owning one and considered adding a PID long before there were "snap in" solutions. I don't regret my decision to skip the PID and upgrade to an E61 HX.

PS: Many of our members frequent multiple coffee sites. Please avoid cross-posting your question, or mention the other site(s) to avoid repetitive responses (link).
Dan Kehn

lblampman

#3: Post by lblampman »

I would agree with Dan (like I'd have the guts to disagree :lol: !) that the PID won't greatly enhance your shot quality but I would say that if you get good shots now that the PID will enhance the repeatability of getting those good shots. It's not going to do the work for you but it's going to allow you to do what you already do more easily (or more often).

The worth it part is tough. What are your future plans? Obviously there are lots of folks PID'ing their Silvias and lots for whom that's a good place to be. But, if you're thinking of an upgrade any time soon I'd sure do a little more surfing with Silvia and save the bucks for the new machine. OTOH, if you really like what Silvia does and just want to get the temp nailed down so you get those good shots more often then it's hard to beat the shots Silvia can pull repeatably for the price of the PID.

I just moved from my Silvia after 5 years but it was really due the heating element going out and making a great excuse to do something and wanting more convenience for the way I currently make espresso (the ability to steam and brew at the same time became highly desirable).
Les

Beavis

#4: Post by Beavis »

I'll not double post on the other site. You guys are awesome here. I have no clue now. I'd like to go to a seminar and learn that way. I'll keep researching!
Thanks, Beavis