Temperature wheel mis-aligned - La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nuketopia

#21: Post by nuketopia »

dsblv wrote:I view the wheel as an easy way to make relative adjustments in brew temperature (hotter/colder). I don't even look at the numbers on the wheel. I just adjust the wheel to achieve the results I want. So, La Marzocco's calibration directions were perfect for my application.

The new connected electronics board upgrade and app will provide precise temperature settings. That should provide people all the information they need to use the machine.
Sure - like has been mentioned, LM sells the Linea Mini in most places with a wheel with no temperature markings on it, just blue and red arrows.

The graduated label is US only (at least the Fahrenheit scale one). I do find good use in being able to replicate temperature settings, because I change coffees so often. My LM subscription for instance, gets me different roasters every month and I'm able to set a known temperature value as a starting point. I also keep notes for some of my favorite local coffees and it is nice to be able to replicate parameters quickly.

My LMLM came setup from the factory with a calibrated reading, I presume this is still true for US market machines. It is a nice feature even if LM builds it oddly.

HKLA88

#22: Post by HKLA88 »

Thank god I can use my phone app to adjust the temperature now. The wheel is hard to use.

Advertisement
dionaeafan

#23: Post by dionaeafan »

Jumping in here... I just got my linea mini and tommy surprise the wheel wasn't calibrated with the app. The wheel is about 3 degrees less than what the app records. I'm assuming the app is the source of truth but disappointing the wheel doesn't line up properly.

elmerito25

#24: Post by elmerito25 »

nuketopia wrote:Sure - like has been mentioned, LM sells the Linea Mini in most places with a wheel with no temperature markings on it, just blue and red arrows.

The graduated label is US only (at least the Fahrenheit scale one). I do find good use in being able to replicate temperature settings, because I change coffees so often. My LM subscription for instance, gets me different roasters every month and I'm able to set a known temperature value as a starting point. I also keep notes for some of my favorite local coffees and it is nice to be able to replicate parameters quickly.

My LMLM came setup from the factory with a calibrated reading, I presume this is still true for US market machines. It is a nice feature even if LM builds it oddly.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I followed your instructions on how to calibrate the temperature wheel and have a follow up question that I hope you could shed light on.

Below the offset temperature (+10) written on top of the case:

So I went I ahead and rotate the dial to the lowest temperature and add +10 clicks which brings me to 185F on the 6 o'clock position.

I would assume that the 185F on the 6 o'clock position is the current temperature and if I want to set it to 203F I would just turn the wheel clockwise to set the 203F in the 6 o'clock position. Is that right?

TIA-
elmerito25

dsblv

#25: Post by dsblv »

That's not the procedure that La Marzocco recommends for adjusting the temperature wheel. I'd recommend contacting Chris at La Marzocco Home for the correct alignment steps.

nuketopia

#26: Post by nuketopia »

elmerito25 wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I followed your instructions on how to calibrate the temperature wheel and have a follow up question that I hope you could shed light on.

Below the offset temperature (+10) written on top of the case:

So I went I ahead and rotate the dial to the lowest temperature and add +10 clicks which brings me to 185F on the 6 o'clock position.

I would assume that the 185F on the 6 o'clock position is the current temperature and if I want to set it to 203F I would just turn the wheel clockwise to set the 203F in the 6 o'clock position. Is that right?

TIA-
elmerito25

Yeah, that's the idea. You want the wheel reading at the bottom (6-o'clock) position to be the desired temperature.

If you dial it down to reading 185, you should feel about 10 more clicks (per the writing on the frame) lower than 185, to the point where the wheel stops rotating. Or whatever number they wrote on the frame when they built the machine.

I've seen a few of these and they've all corresponded that way. I can't say that every Linea Mini LM made is that way, or if they have changed the factory process at some point. Every machine I've seen was produced that way. I've only seen a few though.

If the logic board, the potentiometer, thermistor, dial or sticker have been replaced, it probably will need a different alignment setting. If you accidentally disturbed the setting, this would get you in the ballpark. If a calibration tool is available, it can be accurately set to produce the dialed-in temperature.

The procedure LM recommends is for field service when replacing components and a calibration tool isn't readily available.

In most of the world, the machine is sold with a dial with no numbers on it at all. Just blue for cooler and red for warmer. So don't sweat it. Just dial it to taste. Take note of where it is set and that's that.

The dial spans 20 celsius degrees, or 36 Fahrenheit degrees, stop-to-stop. Each click is about 0.238c, or 0.429f degrees. All this does is dial in an offset so that the interesting temperature around 93c/199.4f line up with the marks on the wheel.

If you want to do it some other way, have it it.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by wingnutsglory »

Might a crude way of figuring this out be setting the wheel to an increasingly higher temp, waiting a few minutes, and then checking for flash boiling from the group? Your wheel's offset reading (from 212F) might then give you an approximation of the pot error?