Temperature controllable hot water tap? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G
Team HB

#11: Post by Jake_G »

It will be as close to boiling as possible.

The Micra has a few different operating temperatures you can choose from for steam power, but regardless, water cannot exist at a temperature higher than the local boiling point once it comes out of the tap.
LMWDP #704

JohnPK

#12: Post by JohnPK »

That's a good question. I've never measured it, but when I have a little time to play with it some time over the next couple of days I'll take some measurements and can also check to see if the different steam power settings (1-3) in the app change the temperature out of the hot water spout.

BaristaBoy E61

#13: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Jake_G wrote:Doh!

Thanks guys. I knew there was another line that blended, but the Speedster escaped me.

Thanks for the reminder. Steve, is yours here yet?
It's now looking like the earliest homecoming will be the week of April 10th.

This 'Manhatten' project has been quite an adventure of having to overcome one challenge after another to make it happen, technical, logistical and otherwise.

I should start a new thread, "I Proposed - and She Accepted!"

'She', has been a great sport & partner that I think at times might be even more excited than I am. Perhaps because it's 'he' that's dealing with all the challenges while 'she' just has to deal with giving up cupboard space down below for the pump, motor, 230vac wiring, plumbing etc. The above board counter space has been mostly surrendered already. However, coupled with the size of a K30 I'm sure there's more shock to be absorbed.

In the mean time, a shipping invoice with instructions 'DO NOT DOUBLE STACK', 'PLEASE DO NOT STACK' & a picture our friend sent us from his VT warehouse is all we have.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jaz419 (original poster)

#14: Post by jaz419 (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote:It will be as close to boiling as possible.

The Micra has a few different operating temperatures you can choose from for steam power, but regardless, water cannot exist at a temperature higher than the local boiling point once it comes out of the tap.
I do understand the physics of it, but with some clever routing or a bit of engineering I'd think you could dump some heat and bring the temp down passively by the time it gets out to the tap? Idk I guess it's likely much more complex since it doesn't seem to be a widespread feature.

Jake_G
Team HB

#15: Post by Jake_G »

Oh, sure.

In the case of the Micra, and most other machines, it is a very short path from the boiler to the hot water knob.

A thermosyphon would be a clever way to passively temper the temperature, but I haven't seen any manufacturers do this. Doesn't mean nobody does, I just haven't seen it.
LMWDP #704

Pflunz

#16: Post by Pflunz »

The Lelit Elizabeth routes the water from the steam boiler through the espresso boiler.

JohnPK

#17: Post by JohnPK »

jaz419 wrote:Ok this is really good to hear. Curious if the hot water coming out of the LM micra tap is a certain temperature due to machine specific plumbing? Any idea what temp it comes out at? And I'd like to compare that to the temp of other taps.
Circling back to this... I didn't measure at all three steam pressure settings, but with the steam pressure set to "2" in the app (gauge reading 1.7 bar) the water coming out of the hot water tap was at 209 deg. F.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Nunas »

Most of the time, I use a digital electric kettle for hot water. But, sometimes I forget. So, if I need a bit of hot/boiling water in a hurry, I just put some water in one of my foaming jugs along with my thermometer, and steam it until it gets to the temperature I want. No worries about boiler impurities, etcetera.

jaz419 (original poster)

#19: Post by jaz419 (original poster) »

JohnPK wrote:Circling back to this... I didn't measure at all three steam pressure settings, but with the steam pressure set to "2" in the app (gauge reading 1.7 bar) the water coming out of the hot water tap was at 209 deg. F.
Ok thanks for checking that out! 209 is basically boiling...and you say you like your americanos.... maybe its just not that big of a deal.

I appreciate the input from everyone

Ben Z.

#20: Post by Ben Z. »

I don't think mixing valves are all that rare. My cimbali m20 had a heavy brass fixture inside that you manually adjusted to pick your temperature. IIRC, it had tons of range, from pretty much all boiler to all inlet line.