Synesso for Home - Page 16

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
malling

#151: Post by malling »

ira wrote:Not in the US, maybe in Denmark. But maybe the $5000 was high, but it certainly costs more here.
The Price are from Germany, typically the cheapest place to get stuff in Europe. In Denmark about a €1000 more expensive, but You can often get them to reduce it by asking politely. I can't recall I ever paid the listed price for any espresso machine or grinder in DK, probably because they are well aware of the fact that we can just go south of the boarder.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#152: Post by JohnB. »

ira wrote:Not in the US, maybe in Denmark. But maybe the $5000 was high, but it certainly costs more here.
Have you gotten a recent price quote from a distributor?
The dealer in NC charges factory list plus shipping.. Most, if not all of the other US dealers are charging well above list.
LMWDP 267

Maak

#153: Post by Maak »

Jake_G wrote: Ugh. I don't understand this infatuation with "preinfusion is over when such and such happens". To me, that's missing the entire point. Preinfusion is over when I say it is over.
I'm not sure what everone has their panties in a twist about...in the videos the demonstrator clearly states you can MANUALLY step from preinfusion to infusion to post infusion when YOU THE BARISTA tap the paddle. So you can watch a bottomless portafilter to judge when.

It's mentioned that at some point there will also be a feature to automatically sense when the puck is saturated and end preinfusion, but I'd be certain that would be optional to use.

It seems that this tap paddle operated and programmable settings within the stages will allow for most types of preinfusion except for going back a step. And who knows what future software could allow.

Jake_G
Team HB

#154: Post by Jake_G replying to Maak »

My panties are only twisted because there are roughly 2,357 other things that could be prioritized over the so-called "automatic" preinfusion.

I'm not really upset that Synesso is following suit, but that logic bugged my when the DE1 was touted as being the only machine in the world that automatically senses when preinfusion is over and moves to the next step. I didn't drink the kool aid then and I'm not drinking it now. My point is only that these gimmicks only sense when the headspace is filled and the puck begins providing resistance to the flow, which is not the classical definition of preinfusion (which is kinda blurry, if I'm honest). You are right. The barista can manually watch the bottomless and step to the next phase.

But thanks for yelling at me for expressing my opinion. :P

Really, no hard feelings. I was just ranting.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#155: Post by PIXIllate »

The major missing piece in this machine is that there is no ability to go into a low pressure hold/Bloom phase once the puck is saturated. This, to me, is a deal breaking ommision.

Maak

#156: Post by Maak »

PIXIllate wrote:The major missing piece in this machine is that there is no ability to go into a low pressure hold/Bloom
Your probably right ...
...but if you can set beginning and end pressure and not move to the next step untill you want????.

I'm guess we'll never know till hands on testing is available. It would be a shame for a machine in this category to not allow that configuration.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#157: Post by mgrayson »

Serious question: If puck blooming is vital, has anyone tried simply pouring hot water on the puck BEFORE locking it into the machine? Pressure is supposed to be minimal, right?

You'd get to use a gooseneck kettle AND an espresso machine!

homeburrero
Team HB

#158: Post by homeburrero »

mgrayson wrote:If puck blooming is vital, has anyone tried simply pouring hot water on the puck BEFORE locking it into the machine? Pressure is supposed to be minimal, right?
I see one snag with that. Often (almost always in my case) the wet coffee bed swells up enough to meet the shower screen, and if you were to lock it in after that swelling it would probably disturb or fracture the puck.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

cmin

#159: Post by cmin replying to homeburrero »

I wonder if someone did that but had say a cut aeropress filter on top? I do that with my BDB as the cut filter creates a barrier and allows even more even flow especially in Slayer mode, but also b/c the puck expands like a mofo and keeps the shower screen much cleaner. Definitely a change in grind and flow, w/o the filter the shots are quite faster at same grind setting.

Jeff
Team HB

#160: Post by Jeff »

Bloom, at least this month, is a zero flow period, with the exit to ramp-up being based on the pressure drop. Pressure is the output, not the input. An E61-style flow kit that can shut off completely can do that. A machine that flows to achieve a set pressure probably can't.