Synesso ES.1 Unboxing and First Impressions - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HH

#81: Post by HH »

Just to piggyback on the 'more than most people need' fallacy, I agree it is probably fair to say that the DE1 is the most innovative and flexible machine currently available, with the greatest opportunity for the barista to get hands on and interact with the coffee... but it doesn't have to be. As a case in point, I have owned my DE1 for three years. I still tweak and change profiles and play with flow rate every day to explore the nuances of whatever bag of coffee I am currently enjoying. My wife on the other hand just walks up and pulls a shot of espresso. She doesn't even look at the screen. To be honest she usually starts the shot and then walks off to get the milk as the machine will stop the shot by weight every time. It can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it.

tr182md

#82: Post by tr182md »

I think that the Tesla analogy is a good one. I have a BMW M4 and my brother has a Tesla 3. Sure his base model Tesla has my BMW beat for half the price. Still there is something beautiful about BMW M cars and how much attention went into making them, flawed as internal combustion may be. A well made machine that keeps me in the BMW. Now perhaps a Lucid or something similar might eventually tempt me away but I still think it will take a while before these new machines convert all of us. There is something wonderful about a big heavy double boiler machine that is more tactile and emotional than logical. I like the feel of it, the 70-80 pounds of machine.

I have a copy of one the first ads for espresso by the La Victoria Arduino espresso machine back when they made the very first machine using steam power to make coffee. I think it is a bit of a romance thing. I still miss my V8 compared to my twin turbo V6.

I wish the Decent was just a larger more solid machine. Still I think it could possibly beat my GS3 in a lot of ways. I would still rather have a large machine.

I don't want to say anything bad about Decent. I still want one. Just can't bring myself to give up the GS3. The Synesso comes close.

HH

#83: Post by HH »

"I don't want to say anything bad about Decent. I still want one. Just can't bring myself to give up the GS3."

Oh absolutely, the GS3 is a beast! Wonderful machine. I think your car analogy is a good one, there isn't a 'best', it's more of a 'best for the person driving', and I'm grateful for the many amazing machines out there to choose from today.

ggcadc

#84: Post by ggcadc »

To tag on here a bit with the car analogy. The Decent folks I see posting have a very similar Tesla vibe where there is very little that can be said to justify another decision. I know that puts a lot of people off of these brands myself included.

IMO:
DE1 is def a model3
An ES1 is maybe a GTR
The You is probably an LFA

But really this all centers around the fact the LM hasn't updated the GS3, which is a Bathtub body 911.

When the tech from the Strada X lands in an updated GS I suspect anyone with a You or Rocket one 9 or ES1 will be looking for a way to roll into that unit. I know I will. But considering they sell a 1 group Strada that may just never happen.

chipman

#85: Post by chipman »

To continue the auto analogy, the new Synesso is a Saab EMS.

tr182md

#86: Post by tr182md »

Another thinks about the GS3 I love is the HUGE drip tray. The La Spaziale also had a huge tray. I like the security of knowing I don't have to empty it every day. I can go a week without emptying it. How big is the drip tray on the ES1? It does look a bit smaller than I am used to.

I wonder how much I could sell a GS3 for? :D

Speaking to the lever machines the Leva is something I want just to look at it every day. Sometimes after all these years I want something like a lever and a manual grinder like the HG-1 to just sort of meditate with my process.

raleighmodel6

#87: Post by raleighmodel6 »

I thought to keep this thread alive, since I retired my GS3 MP after 10 years of great service and took delivery of an ES1 about two weeks ago. I loved using the GS3 and in all that time, I rebuilt the paddle assembly twice and replaced or rebuilt the steam vacuum breaker four times: that was it. It just worked and was a huge step up from my E61 machine. I decided to give it to my single-dosing stepson and bought the ES1 with the expectation that the additional inputs would be fun to use and just might deliver better coffee.

I am kind of amazed to report that, in my hands with my beans, the coffee is better! We drink cappuccinos and used the same lot of medium-roast beans in both machines. The ES1 dialed in quickly using the manual method, which I then saved as a program. The drinks are 'sweeter' in non-sugary way and richer, riper: really good. Same water temps, confirmed with my Fluke thermometer.

I don't know why there is an improvement, but two things are suggestive: firstly, that the Synesso provides a more robust preinfusion at 3.5 Bar (our plumbed GS3 had to accept our meagre water pressure for the preinfusion stage); and secondly, that I'm using 6 Bar for the main pull instead of 9 Bar (I never adjusted the GS3's pump).

Steaming milk is great: it's quieter, I think owing to the more lateral placement of the holes in the wand; and the microfoam is noticeably more delicate.

What I miss is that I more-or-less understood how the GS3 works. The ES1 is clearly more complex. Mine is black and so literally presents as a black box, and, well, there's a lot going on in there. For example, I was confused about the water delivery metrics: for the main infusion phase, you set temperature, pressure and volume, but the volume reported by the machine exceeds the volume delivered into the beaker, about double. I emailed the support people and learned that water delivery is measured and reported as free flow at the 'nanopump' so that the user can verify that it's working to spec. They must think I'm a complete moron, because it took me a while to accept that it's really Synesso's intention with adjusting the infusion phase. Fortunately, the machine provides this estimate when you work the group manually.

The coffee is great and it's a pleasure to use the machine. To borrow from an earlier poster, I wanted a heavy, robust double-boiler machine. Our local roaster in Bend was an early adopter of Synesso machines and his experience planted that thought that 'if ever...'

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by DoubleR »

Great to hear some updates in this machine. I'll be following, maybe one day.... ;)
LMWDP #755

Macmutant

#89: Post by Macmutant »

raleighmodel6 wrote:I thought to keep this thread alive, since I retired my GS3 MP after 10 years of great service and took delivery of an ES1 about two weeks ago.
Congratulations on the new ES.1. Can you share a little about your experience with the purchase experience? Did you buy direct from Synesso or a reseller like Voltage Supply? How was the interaction with Synesso support. Sounds like you asked about the volume measurement. Did you have other questions or concerns?

I'm looking at picking up an ES.1, but have been hanging back waiting for another YouTube review or two before I commit.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight.

raleighmodel6

#90: Post by raleighmodel6 »

I purchased directly from Synesso, spoke with the ES1 point person and was directed to order online. I interacted with the support group right away, as the plumbing kit needs to be installed in the field and I had no idea what to do. Taylor was great, he opened a video link so that he could monitor my progress as I completed the install, which was pretty straightforward. There is very little water draining into the drip tray-at the end of the week it's not even half full; backflushing is very simple: initiate the process and the machine gives 5 cycles with detergent and 5 without, although we found it a good idea to run a few hundred mL through the group afterward. I'll mention the steaming again: great process and results. The tea tap is great, it can deliver a significant volume and you can dial in the temp specific to your tea. As a general point, the machine is solid. There is no buzzing or vibration. In the transition from ready-to-go to power save mode, the pump intermittently comes on, not sure what it's up to, possibly moving fluid from one compartment to another as the temp decreases? Oh yeah, and the drop from the group to the tray seemed to get some video reviewers pretty excited, but for me, it's great: I like the space and with my machine being black, it is very hard to notice the little bit of spatter.