Synesso ES.1 Unboxing and First Impressions - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBoy E61

#71: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I hate to rain on anyone's parade. Am I the only one disappointed that the internals look more like a coffee beverage vending machine than a very expensive high-end espresso machine?

Sorry, but this is a mess! :shock:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bongani

#72: Post by bongani »

I almost had a panic attack when looking at the pictures of the innards of the machine. That looks like a super-auto with a few bits missing. That's definitely not a Chemistry Set.

erik82

#73: Post by erik82 »

but is that a bad thing? Is it performing and doing what it should do? Synesso has got a lot of knowledge about building great espresso machines and maybe this is the new way to look at espresso machines. I'm also very unhappy when I pull the hood of my EV as it looks like the back of a golf cart but boy do I smile when I floor the throttle and it just performs so much better then a traditional car :wink: .

BodieZoffa

#74: Post by BodieZoffa »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I hate to rain on anyone's parade. Am I the only one disappointed that the internals look more like a coffee beverage vending machine than a very expensive high-end espresso machine?

Opinions/expectations certainly vary... I don't care for the modern tech spin being put on espresso and will gladly take a manual/hands-on approach with roasting, grinding, etc. as push button simplicity/consistency doesn't cut it for me. In the grand scheme of things I do like the fit/finish of the machine in question and looks far better to me than the typical overrated machines commonly mentioned on forums.

Capuchin Monk

#75: Post by Capuchin Monk »

If you like sausage, don't look into sausage making process. The same can be said about espresso machine. :idea:

As for the aesthetics, it's in the eye of the beholder and as for the machine, the form follows function (it should). If it's a look that resulted from well functioning design, then that should be considered a good look for machine. 8)

slappadabass

#76: Post by slappadabass »

For me it's the fact that the ES1 is $4k more than the You in Canada. That's before taxes and import duty as well as I can't find local sellers for it.

So let's say an extra $6-7k landed...for what exacly? Less features?

I like the looks of it over the You, but the price isn't aligned.

lagoon

#77: Post by lagoon »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I hate to rain on anyone's parade. Am I the only one disappointed that the internals look more like a coffee beverage vending machine than a very expensive high-end espresso machine?

What are some of your specific areas of concern?

Capuchin Monk

#78: Post by Capuchin Monk »

The show must go on.

tr182md

#79: Post by tr182md »

Been following along. I have had a GS3 for almost 10 years now and I can say that it is a hard machine to replace. I have been looking at the Decent but as has been mentioned before these are different animals. To me the Decent is a place to play and experiment and it looks like a lot of fun, but I don't have 220V at my espresso bar. I would need the 220 version to get the performance I am used to.

These machines took two different approaches to accomplish a similar goal ... which is to have more control over the flow and pressure of your shots. I think the Decent used electronic trickery to create performance of a traditional machine from the ground up. This is why it sounds like a Breville or something similar which heats water on the fly rather than having a tank.

The internal look does not worry me. This is the look of a commercial machine like the GS3 or any other machine I have seen. They evolve from a plumbing perspective and are basically very simple. The Decent evolved from scratch built by computer nerds so of course it looks more like a computer inside. Both work. I think that the Synesso would be much easier to perform your own maintenance on. With a commercial machine you will be replacing parts, they wear out. But it is usually just something like pressure relief valve. The decent I imagine would need less since it is so electronic. Repairs might just be a circuit board.

The ES1 uses traditional plumbing techniques with a fancy mixing valve to achieve something similar. I don't think anything will be as flexible as the Decent but to be honest most people will never use most of those features. They will play for a while and then probably settle on something. It sounds amazingly fun.

My GS3 excels at being a rock solid performer and removes the machine from the equation. I am left with "Mana" whenI have a problem with my shot. Before I had the GS3 I had a La Spaziale, which I also had for 10 years but I replaced the motherboard and a few parts to turn it into a V2.

Once you leave the $2500 space the gains are incremental. My consistency now is so good it is hard to imagine improving on that but I could play more with my pre infusion and my flows.

The only other machine that tempted me is the Eagle 1, which is another innovative machine with input from Hoffman.

Maybe 20 years ago I read Professional Espresso Techniques and when I went to Seattle I got is signed and saw the Synesso they had in the main shop at Espresso Vivace. I have always been in love but they really did not have a home machine till now. Very tempting. Where do you go from a GS3? Now I think I have a few options. The Decent looks amazingly fun maybe as a second machine to "play" with but it never seemed to be quite as solid.

It is good to have options. I am still at a loss as to what I could get that is enough of an improvement over my current setup.

Ailio Bullet Roster
Com Pak F8 OD
LM GS3 plumbed in.

tr182md

#80: Post by tr182md »

BTW to comment on the Decent.

I have been following the story of the Decent for some time and I think it is a revolutionary machine and when people like Hoffman or Rao start to play with it it expands our knowledge of espresso. We may get another "Wave" out of this. When the Slayer first came out and talked about flow control as a way to brew light roasts it was very intriguing but I think they made it too hard compared to an electronic control like we have now. With machines like the decent you can control everything. It is a machine to explore on. I want one. But coming from the world of larger and heavier machines where thermal mass is helps to control stability it is certainly a change in perspective.

I am not knocking the Decent but I think the phrasing it is more machine than people need is incorrect. It is not really more machine it is less machine that can do more. It is more flexible than most people need ... it is for people who are truly interested in exploring all the variables that can change what you see in the cup.

But The Synesso has the potential to do 90% of that or more. With a bit more metal and history behind it.

I really want all of these machines. My wife ... well. I am not getting all of these machines.