Synesso ES.1 Unboxing and First Impressions - Page 6

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Sivs (original poster)

#51: Post by Sivs (original poster) »

A couple of things that swayed me to the ES1:
1. Drip tray and cup space was a positive for me, with the pressure relief on the ES1 draining into the drip tray behind the front panel.
2. I preferred the screen placement on the ES1, and it seemed to be more insulated than the setup on the YOU
3. I liked the unlimited recipe saves on the ES1, even though I haven't been saving recipes. I have just been brewing manually every time.
4. Loved the front/top fill reservoir on the ES1. I still haven't dug behind the front panel to see if I can actually remove the water tank for cleaning. The manual didn't have anything on it. Water tank size being a bit bigger on the ES1 was nice.
5. I liked being able to pre-set the pressure stages.
6. For whatever reason, I was a bit turned off by the idea of paying the YOU price for an SR61 group head. How much a difference that is from the ES1 isn't really clear.
7. I just preferred the overall look of the ES1 to the YOU.

These are thoughts I've had after owning the ES1 for a bit.
1. Before receiving the unit, I did like being able to set the pressure stages, but I think I might have enjoyed the additional control the YOU offers. I hope Synesso updates the software to allow for more steps and lower pressures. That's probably wishful thinking.
2. I've been making some great coffee. The steam has been amazing. The whole machine has been really impressive, even with the little issues I've had. I definitely have not had a desire to pull out the Flair 58 again.

Flilow
Supporter ♡

#52: Post by Flilow »

Thanks for the thoughtful response. If the ES1 offers more consistency and repeatability at the cost of less control, that is a trade off I would take.

How is the new machine treating you?

Transporter

#53: Post by Transporter »

Sivs wrote:A couple of things that swayed me to the ES1:
1. Drip tray and cup space was a positive for me, with the pressure relief on the ES1 draining into the drip tray behind the front panel.
2. I preferred the screen placement on the ES1, and it seemed to be more insulated than the setup on the YOU
3. I liked the unlimited recipe saves on the ES1, even though I haven't been saving recipes. I have just been brewing manually every time.
4. Loved the front/top fill reservoir on the ES1. I still haven't dug behind the front panel to see if I can actually remove the water tank for cleaning. The manual didn't have anything on it. Water tank size being a bit bigger on the ES1 was nice.
5. I liked being able to pre-set the pressure stages.
6. For whatever reason, I was a bit turned off by the idea of paying the YOU price for an SR61 group head. How much a difference that is from the ES1 isn't really clear.
7. I just preferred the overall look of the ES1 to the YOU.

These are thoughts I've had after owning the ES1 for a bit.
1. Before receiving the unit, I did like being able to set the pressure stages, but I think I might have enjoyed the additional control the YOU offers. I hope Synesso updates the software to allow for more steps and lower pressures. That's probably wishful thinking.
2. I've been making some great coffee. The steam has been amazing. The whole machine has been really impressive, even with the little issues I've had. I definitely have not had a desire to pull out the Flair 58 again.
What issues did you have with the machine? I plan on ordering a machine next week now that I have received my Mahlkonig E80 GbW.

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by DoubleR »

Sivs wrote:6. For whatever reason, I was a bit turned off by the idea of paying the YOU price for an SR61 group head. How much a difference that is from the ES1 isn't really clear.
This is one of the things that I worry about with the YOU as well. I know it's not rational, but the SR61 is not sexy to me. I'm sure it produces great temp stability since they use the SR61 on their commercial machines (F18, Cafe Racer), but I worry that the SR61 experience will take away from the pleasure of using the YOU machine, even if not rational. But then again, what's rational about buying these machines... probably not a lot in the first place..

I'm really liking what I see out of the ES1 so far (and the YOU tbh). I think the target audience is different for ES1 vs a Decent, and agree that the ES1 is competing more with the YOU and GS3.
LMWDP #755

Capuchin Monk

#55: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Another unboxing impression video. A few of the same points are mentioned.

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by DoubleR »

Nice, I'm looking forward to his full review. In the comment section he states that he expects a more in depth review to come out later this month. Also noted that he will do some comparison between Synesso ES1 and Sanremo You. I look forward to this.
LMWDP #755

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by DoubleR »

Jake_G wrote:Thanks for this picture.

It shows the heart of profiling capabilities, which appears to be a proportional solenoid valve teed into the discharge of a normal, tried and true Fluid-O-Tech rotary pump.
Hi Jake, on thing I've been trying to understand with the machine is how much of the additional profiling capabilities are limited by the hardware versus the software. Based on what you know of the proportional solenoid valve combined with the rotary pump, what other profiling capabilities, theoretically, could Synesso add with a software update? Would this machine be capable of blooming espresso for example?

I know that what Synesso does with software is pure speculation and nothing to take to the bank. I'm just trying to understand the capability of the hardware. Thanks!
LMWDP #755

Jake_G
Team HB

#58: Post by Jake_G »

DoubleR wrote:Hi Jake, on thing I've been trying to understand with the machine is how much of the additional profiling capabilities are limited by the hardware versus the software. Based on what you know of the proportional solenoid valve combined with the rotary pump, what other profiling capabilities, theoretically, could Synesso add with a software update? Would this machine be capable of blooming espresso for example?

I know that what Synesso does with software is pure speculation and nothing to take to the bank. I'm just trying to understand the capability of the hardware. Thanks!
Blooming would be easy. All they have to do is shut the pump off and leave the brew valve open.

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704

BaristaBob

#59: Post by BaristaBob »

Filling this machine using the reservoir is just as easy as my BDB. But, how do you remove the water reservoir for cleaning? My BDB is easy as it pulls out and locks from the rear. I hope it's that easy.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Sivs (original poster)

#60: Post by Sivs (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

It is definitely not the easiest to remove. This was the removal process:

- Step BY Step Procedure for removing and cleaning ES1 Reservoir
1) Turn off the machine and unplug.
2) Loosen cup rail and remove.
3) Unthread the steam handle.
4) Unscrew the Philip screws on both side panels. (8 total)
5) Unthread the button head Philip screws behind the front panel. (4 total)
6) Pull away drain pan and grate.
7) Carefully tilt the front panel away and unlock the Teflon tube connected to the hot waterspout. (Pushing the locking mechanism in and pull the tube away.)
8) Pull out the center manifold and place it out of the way.
9) There are two C-clamps that need to be disconnected to slide the Silicone tubes away. (With needle nose pliers, separate the clamps by pushing the clamp away from itself, up and down.)
10) Disconnect the probe wire connector.
11) Slide the reservoir out and dump the remaining water out into a sink.
12) Split apart the recommended Bottle Bright tablets and drop them into the large bulkhead hole. (3 tablets = 3 liters)
13) Fill the reservoir with warm water and set aside for 30 minutes.
14) Drain and rinse the reservoir with fresh water.
15) Reinstall the reservoir, slide all the tubing back on and clamp the large funnel tube and pump inlet tube with pliers.
16) Reconnect the probe wires.
17) Fill water to the top of the funnel and check for leaks around the tubing.
18) Slide the front panel back on and firmly press the Teflon tube back into the waterspout push-connect fitting.
19) Reattach front panel and side panels with the Philip screws.
20) Connect the plug and turn it on.
21) Run the tea tap button a couple times and check for leaks.
22) Have Fun with Your ES1!