Flushing a Livia 90S before a pull. - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kris772 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

Note - this is all changing for me - I just PIDed the boiler and running at 234 it seems that a 4 sec flush followed by a pull is best. I have also stopped pre-infusion because I feel on this machine the HX partially rebounding is messing with the pull.

Bottom line - probably don't take any of this advice, but experiment with different approaches.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

SJM

#12: Post by SJM »

Maybe this is the place to drop in and mention that for as long as I've been using my Livia 90, I have never flushed at all. When she reaches full pressure, I prep the puck and pull the shot. I had read that she was a dragon and that dragons needed to be flushed, but either my Livia is an oddity or that is not always the case. What I love about her is that she is so completely undemanding, and not at all what I had expected from an H/X.

I had a Maximatic (another dragon) at one time, and I can definitely tell you that there was a major difference; I could never get that one right. She and I did not get along, and I passed her along to someone with more patience for futzing.

So? Nothing except maybe try the easiest approach first.

Supporter ♡

#13: Post by kris772 (original poster) replying to SJM »

Susan, can I ask what pressure your gauge peaks at?

SJM

#14: Post by SJM »

Yikes, you might want to interpret the exact number, but it always stabilizes right at the 12:00 position on the dial

Supporter ♡

#15: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

That's plenty close enough!!!! - so you are running about 1.25 and don't need an initial flush where I am (at this pull) running about 0.9 (PID 132) and find that a 1.5sec flush helps. Not what I expected! But that's espresso-ing!!! Thanks! This one was 18.4 -> 38g, 19sec from first drip, NO PI, thick and creamy. Cafevita Cafe del Sol frozen at +8days, roasted 7/7.

I note with amusement that I am back to trying Dan's suggested lower boiler pressure... :)