Strange problem with Rancilio Silvia: any advice? - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#21: Post by BaristaBob »

illusionsgame wrote:Thanks for replying
There was no problem for years and with no change in equipment, the coffee starting going blonde very fast and it's bitter.
All 3 of my baskets do this and we only used one really.
I cleaned grinder and have it set as fine as possible.
To test, I got beans ground for electric espresso from a very good shop...same problem.
Pressing very hard...at least 30 lbs with tamper

Everything is the same as it ever was...except the coffee results
woe is me
Hi Brad,

I do think it's a grinder problem. I owned a Rocky for a few years. It's a good grinder, was more than good enough 10-15 years ago, but times change. Mine, as I recalled, started to really wear at one point. So after a period of about two years my settings had moved from 8-10 to 2-3. I could hear them touch at 0-1. I'm thinking it's about time for a burr change-out for you. Those 50mm flat burrs don't cost that much (around $50 a set). That's not much to spend on a fresh set, as you're liable to go through more coffee than that just chasing your tail.

As for the baskets, I've been using two VST baskets interchangeably over the past three years...they are still perfect (as much as I can tell). They go in the dishwasher every night for a wash...no problems after almost 1,000 washings.

Hope that helps just a little.

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

illusionsgame (original poster)

#22: Post by illusionsgame (original poster) »

Thank you all, I really appreciate it.
I will next have some ground more finely at a very good shop near here: real pros, and I'll see if the grind has any effect.
I'll report back!
ps, I never mentioned my other theory that the Silvia pump suddenly is creating too much pressure... That would be a death nail for this machine.
More soon, and thank you all so much.

I have a blog getting 100K hits per month...on house painting...advice etc that links people to the dreaded amazon,... and if I can figure out how, I'm going to link to this site. I have a few posts on airless sprayers coming up... maybe I'll see how the pumps are the same in both types of machines... I would like to get HomeBarrista a little more notice.

B

C-Antonio

#23: Post by C-Antonio »

illusionsgame wrote:Thank you all, I really appreciate it.
I will next have some ground more finely at a very good shop near here: real pros, and I'll see if the grind has any effect.
I'll report back!
ps, I never mentioned my other theory that the Silvia pump suddenly is creating too much pressure... That would be a death nail for this machine.
More soon, and thank you all so much.

I have a blog getting 100K hits per month...on house painting...advice etc that links people to the dreaded amazon,... and if I can figure out how, I'm going to link to this site. I have a few posts on airless sprayers coming up... maybe I'll see how the pumps are the same in both types of machines... I would like to get HomeBarrista a little more notice.

B
A new pump wouldnt cost much at all, making it the final word for the machine is a lot. Pumps after all arent eternal, eventually they need changing. The issue with the pumps usually is that they drop the pressure not the other way around, even if, hypotetically, they were able to suddenly spike the pressure there would be the OPV discharging the excess pressure above its setting.
The OPV is like the bouncer at the club door: if they are told to let two people only in then two get in and the rest walks, be the rest one or five people... they all get diverted to the tank... and the pump cant throw out pressure and flow in excess of what is its maximum limit (they already try to make them do the most they can do).
A simple pressure gauge for the portafilter, bought or homemade would tell you if the pressure is in the ballpark or not and finally steer you in the right direction rather quickly.
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

illusionsgame (original poster)

#24: Post by illusionsgame (original poster) »

Dear C-Antonio, thanks so much.
I'll look for a pressure gauge I can fit on the head.
Never knew of such.
b