Strange issue with Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica (pressure problem, possibly?!)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
corradoerina

#1: Post by corradoerina »

Dear all,

(Apologies for cross posting on Coffee Geek, but I was hoping to find a fix relatively quickly because of an incoming party with coffee making demo ....)

I have an Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica that I have restored and has been working really well for a few years. Wonderful espresso and fantastic cappuccino.

Recently something strange happens when I brew espresso.

Normally, when I brew a cup of espresso, I put the meniscus in the water column at around 3 / 4 . The more espresso you make, the more the level of the meniscus lowers in the column, until you get to a point where you need to recharge by pressing the left button until the meniscus is back at 3 / 4.

Lately, this happens: I put the meniscus at 3 / 4, then I brew a cup of coffee, the meniscus goes UP (!!!!) until it disappears in the upper part of the column and the whole column is full of water.

The only way I have found to lower the meniscus to 3 / 4 again, is to let steam out of the steam wand until the meniscus drops to the desired level.

What is happening? Have you ever seen anything like it? What should I do?

Regards

Corrado

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The water level in the boiler should not change whether up or down when you make espresso -- it will go down if you steam, but the water to the boiler and group are separate.

What you are seeing can have two causes, one easy to fix, one fatal. The easy one is if the valve that opens when you fill the boiler is not closing completely. In this case, the boiler fills slightly every time you run the pump. The fatal one is is if the heat exchanger inside the boiler is cracked, since the repair usually costs more than a new machine.

I'm not sure how to diagnose which one it is; your best bet is to get in touch with Stefano's Espresso Care, since they specialize in the Elektras
Jim Schulman

corradoerina (original poster)

#3: Post by corradoerina (original poster) »

Dear Jim,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply! I thought Stefano was in the states .... I am currently in UK .... do you know anyone who could help me diagnosing the problem here?

Regards

Corrado

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

corradoerina wrote:Dear Jim,

.... I am currently in UK ....
Oops; I should look at the poster's info. I can't help with a UK store. How do you feel about doing some diagnostics and plumbing? The boiler-fill solenoid valve is in the base. You'd have to use a pair of wrenches to disconnect the pipe going from it to the boiler. Then put the machine on blocks. Run a shot against a blind filter (like back flushing). And check if the solenoid is leaking.

If it is; it's good news, since you can replace it. If it isn't, and the boiler is still filling with it disconnected; the HX is shot, and it's a major league problem.
Jim Schulman

#5: Post by corradoerina (original poster) »

Dear Jim,

Here she is on stilts! I have already restored it so it should be OK to repair it .... but at the time is was mostly mechanics.

What am I supposed to do now?

Regards

Corrado

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

You need to find out what's pushing water into your boiler. This means turning the machine upside down and disconnecting the pipe from the boiler fill solenoid to the boiler, then righting the machine, running the pump and seeing if it leaks. However, you will need a cap to seal the boiler where the pipe was disconnected otherwise the boiler will leak. If you restored the plumbing and electrics on the machine, you'll know what to do; if you've restored the finish, and do not know how the machine works in detail, you might need to get someone to help you.
Jim Schulman

#7: Post by corradoerina (original poster) »

Dear Jim,

Happy new year!

Yes, I took apart the hydraulic and refitted them to fix the leaks due to age.

Apologies, I am asking details because I just do not understand how would your suggested approach work .... if there is a crack in the boiler and I backflush with the pipe sealed, would that not damage the exchanger even further? Or am I thinking the disconnection in the wrong place?

Regards

Corrado

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

corradoerina wrote:Apologies, I am asking details because I just do not understand how would your suggested approach work .... if there is a crack in the boiler and I backflush with the pipe sealed, would that not damage the exchanger even further?
There are two possible problems.

1: If the heat exchanger inside the bouler is cracked, you can throw the machine away; a new one costs less than the repair.

2: when you press the boiler fill button, the pump starts, and a solenoid valve in the base opens to allow water into the boiler. If that solenoid valve is leaking, the boiler will fill a little every time you make a shot. I am suggesting disconnecting the pipe between this valve and the boiler, and seeing if the valve leaks when the pump runs. However, when you disconnect this pipe, the boiler will leak, so you need a cap to seal he inlet where the pipe attaches before making this test. The alternative, if you do not have the cap, is to drain the boiler and disconnect the heater before testing the solenoid valve for leaks.
Jim Schulman

gashuebr

#9: Post by gashuebr »

Maybe this can help. The Fill solenoid is circled in red. The chromed line (upper right to the fill solenoid) is the feed to the heat exchanger and the line below the fill solenoid is the feed to the boiler.

As Jim has suggested if you disconnect the heating element, drain the boiler, and then disconnect the output from the fill solenoid there should be not output from the fill solenoid when you run the pump for an extraction (not to fill the boiler). I'd suggest fitting some silicon or similar material lines to the disconnected fittings to keep water from splashing on to the electrical bits. As you are well aware they do not make good bed fellows!

With the boiler line disconnected, heater disconnected, the pump running and no output from the fill solenoid boiler fill port; if water then is discharged from the boiler via the fill line then you probably have a heat exchanger leak back into the boiler.

Hope this was of some help. If not, apologies.

#10: Post by corradoerina (original poster) »

Dear Jim, Geoff,

First of all thanks a lot! Apologies for not answering before but I was away and I ad to stop using the machine and find some help with overturning (bad back).

Now .... the machine from the bottom looks very different from Geoff's picture! Is it a different model / year? What is the corresponding component in my picture?

Regards

Corrado