Steaming/frothing milk with Izzo Alex HX - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G
Team HB

#11: Post by Jake_G »

Yep.

White and blue wire. It looks like its adjusted on the high side as there is lots of vertical exposed before the 90° bend.

Even so, you best bet is to mark where the fitting is now and then loosen the smaller lock nut holding the probe and white seal into the larger fitting and remove it all as one. With the probe and seal removed from the fitting, you can assess the depth of the probe and clean any build up off of the tip.

Show us what you find as far as probe depth and buildup.
blam wrote:is that all the stretch you require? I am usually stretching until the outside of the pitcher starts to get warm (body temp warm) which is about 10 seconds.

having said that, I cant latte art to save my life.

i get some foam on top, textured-ish milk in the middle and some foam on the bottom

any less and all i get is hot milk....like chris baca says, i can do that in the microwave.
Yes.

But I am coming from a commercial HX machine with tremendous steaming capacity and now a GS/3 with even hotter and higher pressure steam, so YMMV. I also steam small amounts of milk (3-4 Oz in a 12 Oz pitcher). In fairness, when I steam more milk in a 20 Oz pitcher for two cappas at once. It takes a few seconds longer to properly airate the milk.

Also, my latte art sucks, so... :lol:

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

jwill911 (original poster)

#12: Post by jwill911 (original poster) »

Thanks all responders,
I did pull the steam probe, it had some scaling on it but minimal. I sanded it with 600 grit and reinstalled. But same issue, so I tried moving it a little at at time. I'm not sure how to know if the bottom of the probe is lower than the top of the heating element without pulling side covers off and removing the heating element. I just have to go by fuzzy memory when looking in the end of the boiler when the heater was out.

I do think it's a bit better although I have not moved the probe all the way in.
I'm going to try it this way for now and reply back when I have a definitive answer on that.
Thanks again,
John

Jake_G
Team HB

#13: Post by Jake_G replying to jwill911 »

How much probe was sticking down into the boiler?
LMWDP #704

jwill911 (original poster)

#14: Post by jwill911 (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

Not much.
Here's a couple pictures of the probe out of the boiler:

Now I think it's working and I'm getting dry steam. The probe is now pushed in most of the way in. I pushed it in in increments until I was happy with the results.
I learned a bit about my espresso machine. In retrospect it makes perfect sense if the boiler water level is too high the steam wand would spit water instead of steam
Now I need to take a look at the video you posted originally and practice my frothing technique.
Thanks,
John