Steam wand cleaning - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Psyd

#21: Post by Psyd »

cannonfodder wrote:While the stucco constructed steam wand is nasty, I don't think it poses as high of a health risk as most would think...

After a real bad experience at a 'coffee shop', I have taken to peeking behind the counter to see the machine prior to ordering anything from anyone. The upkeep of the machine tends to be reflective of the quality of espresso.
Should'a gone down by NJPAC. The lil shop across the street is suppose to be good (although the machine was broken at the time) and there are a coupla good places a few blocks north of there (at least, I think it was north...) If I thought it was going to be important, I'da remembered the names...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#22: Post by cannonfodder »

If you can think of the names, I would appreciate it. Our data center is in Newark so I am out there for server work a few times a year. I have another trip coming up soon.
Dave Stephens

Psyd

#23: Post by Psyd replying to cannonfodder »

Well, the lil cafe was the NJPAC's 'Theatre Grill', across the street from the Box Office, at 1 Center St. From there, walk N to the end of the park are that'll be on your right, and hang a left. Two blocks later, hang another left. Half a block down on your left.
If memory serves. Ask, the locals were friendly (NOT like Asbury Park!)
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

alsterlingcafe

#24: Post by alsterlingcafe »

cannonfodder wrote:After a real bad experience at a 'coffee shop', I have taken to peeking behind the counter to see the machine prior to ordering anything from anyone. The upkeep of the machine tends to be reflective of the quality of espresso.
So true. And I read your blog link. How sad. I travel a bit on business and try singles whenever the opportunity presents itself. I'm still of the opinion that competent espressos are served in no more than 1 1/2% of the total number of retailers in operation. I could be optimistic!?

I have divided the Specialty Coffee Industry into three distinctive elements; The art, the science and the business. My opinion is that lack of business experience hinders many well intentioned shop owners. Overwhelmed by the stress and pressure of overhead that never ceases, most small cafe' owners decide, unconsciously, that they don't have time to "concentrate and refine" the very heart of their business.......the espresso area, the equipment and the supplies.

From my own business experience and observations, a steam wand with caked on milk tells me that the owner doesn't have time, in his or her mind, to train and manage the business. A dirty to filthy espresso machine tells me that the owner may not survive another year. I stopped to buy my wife a cap at a Starbucks inside a supermarket this afternoon. (She gets headaches without her caffeine) and guess what, the wand was "caked." Will they go out of business? Not soon. With a Starbucks location, I don't think you can look at closure issues. It probably would be easier to look at dollar volume in relationship to cleanliness. The momentum of the franchise is mighty.