Stabilizing hot blooded Bricoletta for shot 1 same as shot 1+x and good intrashot stability - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
edwa

#21: Post by edwa »

Is it the machine or me? My first thought is its me. I've been away from my Volante for 6.5 months during which time my wife was running water thru the Group on a daily basis and on a weekly basis running water from the hot water wand. Knowing that I'd probably forget my procedure I made myself a little video on said procedure.

However, my temp use to stabilize (on the readout) during the shot pull now it just continues to fall. Any comments?

HB
Admin

#22: Post by HB »

edwa wrote:However, my temp use to stabilize (on the readout) during the shot pull now it just continues to fall. Any comments?
How's the espresso?
Dan Kehn

Grant

#23: Post by Grant »

edwa wrote:Is it the machine or me? My first thought is its me. I've been away from my Volante for 6.5 months during which time my wife was running water thru the Group on a daily basis and on a weekly basis running water from the hot water wand. Knowing that I'd probably forget my procedure I made myself a little video on said procedure.

However, my temp use to stabilize (on the readout) during the shot pull now it just continues to fall. Any comments?
How much are you flushing initially? On my Bric, after long idle, I flush 5oz and then pull the shot immediately...temperature during the shot (as reported by my Scace), is 198 +/- .5 every time. Boiler pressure 1.1 - 1.2.

After knocking out the 1st shot, I quickly rinse the PF in about 2-3 oz of water from the grouphead, and then proceed to build my 2nd shot....pulling immediately after building the shot (about 20sec), and hit the same temp pretty well every time....I can repeat that pattern quite a few times in a row....I have tested it out to 5 in a row.

By reducing or increasing the initial flush, I can hit/repeat other temps as well, but I am happy with the current temp and coffee, so don't really change the routine too much.

My Bric has the elecronic controls...so that makes the whole process really easy and thought free. I have taught my kids/wife the procedure, and though they do not understand the underlying reasons, they follow the steps, and can produce great shots too.

edwa

#24: Post by edwa »

Thanks for replying guys.

Dan, so far it hasn't tasted sour but once a little burnt. Admittedly, its been a long time since I've had my favorite blend but I know I'm not getting the host of flavors I remember. Besides that I still have to get my technique back to prevent spraying.

Grant, I was using the same procedure I had written about - Flush to 201f readout on my Fuji, remove, dry, and build my PF, flush a 2nd time for a quick 5 count (approx 4 ozs) after flash. Lock and pull.

However, the machine's temp readout continues to drop thru the shot, no longer stabilizing. Could any harm have been caused for the months of just flushing water thru it?

HB
Admin

#25: Post by HB »

edwa wrote:However, the machine's temp readout continues to drop thru the shot, no longer stabilizing. Could any harm have been caused for the months of just flushing water thru it?
Temperature dropoff during the extraction usually means you've overflushed, but the same symptoms could be caused by scale buildup in the heat exchanger or on the E61 mushroom:

No scale buildup

See Sputtering e61 & HX scale build-up - Cured! for more details

If there's evidence of scale, follow Ian's simplified descaling instructions.
Dan Kehn

edwa

#26: Post by edwa »

Thanks Dan,

It's probably about time to pull the mushroom and take a look after a year and a half. I've been curious to see how much the water softener and everpure filter have helped.

I'm curious because it seems like I only read posts from Bric owners are there many active Volante owners out there?