Spro Over - hard on machine pump?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

Pretty excited to try out Spro Over once I get my FCD valve on ECM Synchronika. Lance Hendrick has a video on it:
I know you can do this at full 9 bar but I see a lot on lowering the flow, which I could do with the FCD. I was wondering though, with such long shot times (90 seconds and more), is that hard on the pump having the FCD only partially open? I was under the understanding that using the FCD in the closed position is the equivalent of having a blank disk in, so having it only 1/4 or 1/2 open would thus be keeping full 9 bar pressure on the pump for an extended time... maybe 2 minutes! And if one did these regularly, it seems that would be hard on the pump?

Anyway I'd love to try it out, just wanted to know if it comes with any caveats like being hard on the E61?

(feel free to discuss spro over in general - recipes, tips, impressions, etc.). Pretty interested in this! I feel like with the FCD, the E61 just keeps getting more interesting: long pre-infusion times, turbo shots, spro over, etc...

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

It is probably significant with a vibe pump, as they are cooled by the water flowing through them. They're typically rated for 20°C water in a 25°C environment, neither of which are met with a home espresso machine. The 120 V units can be rated for as little as a 1-minute on time.

See http://files.cemegroup.com/elettropompe ... 491910.pdf

For rotary pumps, things are not as dire as they generally are designed for higher duty cycles, are cooled differently, and have a "bypass valve".

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

On the other hand, vibe pumps are not very expensive and the flow is a lot higher with a spro-over than a ristretto (that you might also want to run for over a minute..)

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

And if you need to replace the vibe pump, you can make sure you buy one of the ones with the 2 minute on / 1 minute off duty cycles.

randytsuch

#5: Post by randytsuch »

Thanks for posting this, I'm now curious about spro overs and plan to try it this weekend.

I found another video on it, which has less background, focuses on the recipe and technique to make it.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

One issue with this technique years ago was that a domestic double-boiler machine's small brew boiler or HX circuit couldn't keep the temperature stable up over the volume of water required ... the brew temperature would usually drop over the course of a pull. This temperature nose-dive was not an issue with the commercial machines that, for example, Perger and Cat & Cloud used. (Cat & Cloud have(had?) a dedicated espresso machine running at lower pressure for this style of brew.)

Of course, one might prefer a declining temperature profile ... nothing wrong with that.