Someone's custom build espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
harrisonpatm

#1: Post by harrisonpatm »

Stumbled across this while scrolling. Take my money please. There's another video he posted of machining the grouphead, and in the comments to this video he explains that he has a separate heating device for the grouphead itself, not installed, to mitigate heat loss from the thermoblock to the extraction point. Very clever, I love seeing outside the box ideas.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Fascinating, but too out of the box (and all over the bench) for me.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

BJBond

#3: Post by BJBond »

Wow! This could be the start of a new "Decent". I remember several years ago there was a Kickstarter for a home grown espresso machine, no tracking of temps or softisticated electronics. Maybe this idea will have legs...
Starbucks Barista-aka Saeco VV (want to upgrade)
Breville Smart Grinder Pro

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

I love it. Good programmer's inside joke on the "sketchy" firmware.

He should keep the needle valve and hook in a solenoid bypass for Slayer shots. Then his machine would work just like my modified GS/3 AV!

Capuchin Monk

#5: Post by Capuchin Monk »

3phase

#6: Post by 3phase »

Hey, this is mine! Been a lurker for a while, funny to see my stuff pop up here. I'm happy to answer any questions. This is 100% for my own amusement, no interest in making this a product.
Fascinating, but too out of the box (and all over the bench) for me.
Yeah, I'm in the process of designing the whole thing. This was a proof of concept of all the pieces, and a way for me to get started on the software. I'm shooting for about the size of a La Pavoni Pro (what I use most of the time).
He should keep the needle valve and hook in a solenoid bypass for Slayer shots. Then his machine would work just like my modified GS/3 AV!
No need, I can control the pressure/flow with the gear pump. The gear pump is driven by a brushless motor and custom motor controller, so I can control the flow and pressure at very high bandwidth (see video below).
separate heating device for the grouphead itself, not installed, to mitigate heat loss from the thermoblock to the extraction point
Now installed. There's a thermistor and 100w insertion heater for the group glued in with a thermally conductive epoxy. The group temperature can be controlled independently from the water temp.

Some other relevant stuff:
General overview blog post:
https://build-its-inprogress.blogspot.c ... intro.html

Here's a video showing the closed-loop pressure control through a python user interface. I can log pressure, temperatures (currently water, thermoblock, and group), flow, pump speed, pump torque, and whatever else I add in the future at ~1.3 kilohertz, which is way overkill but kind of neat. The orange trace is the pressure command (controlled by the slider), blue trace is the measured pressure:

harrisonpatm (original poster)

#7: Post by harrisonpatm (original poster) »

Thanks for jumping in! hope you don't mind me posting your build, it was too interesting not to share.

Espressoman007

#8: Post by Espressoman007 »

So funny, so craaaaazy, so cool!
You can put all these parts under the countertop and just have grouphead out, next to the faucet, one for coffee, one for water...you can install it wherever you want and however you want...I love it out of the box...thinking out of the box;)...this is so unique!

Cheers!

eltakeiteasy

#9: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Looks more decent than the Decent...
BJBond wrote:Wow! This could be the start of a new "Decent". I remember several years ago there was a Kickstarter for a home grown espresso machine, no tracking of temps or softisticated electronics. Maybe this idea will have legs...
LMWDP #672.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by TenLayers »

Boston Dynamics....ahhhh, it's all making more sense. Super cool. World needs people like you.