Soggy pucks on my new Quick Mill Alexia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
walr00s

#1: Post by walr00s »

I seem to always get a soggy puck with water sitting on top of it on my machine, which I've had for ~2 weeks. I've read other threads where people are advised not to make too much out of "puckology" and I've taken that to heart. All of my pucks are varying degrees of soggy, but I've had plenty of great shots and the sogginess seems to not have any real relationship to what's in the cup. Still, if possible, I'd like to have less soggy pucks simply for the sake of my cleanup routine. I'm rinsing more coffee than I'd like down my drain out of my knockbox. Any advice here is appreciated.

Edit: Not sure it's relevant but I do have the flow control mod.

JRising

#2: Post by JRising »

Are you using the amount of coffee that the filter basket is named for? Ie. if you have the 18g double basket in your portafilter are you filling it to about 18g? If it's underfilled, you can't help buy have standing water left behind.
Other than that... Tell us more, what basket are you using? Is it producing good espresso? The beans are freshly ground,, right?

walr00s (original poster)

#3: Post by walr00s (original poster) »

Using an 18g VST basket with my stock single spout portafilter, on most coffees I've dosed between 17.8 and 18.2g. I had a Levercraft Ethiopian Guji that I found tasted best at 17g, ground fine enough to choke the machine without a long preinfusion. I'm enjoying the shots and generally finding that adjusting based on the charts out there produces expected results (adjusting extraction down increases sourness and sometimes sweetness, up increases bitterness), so it feels like everything is working just fine. My beans are 4-21 days old generally and ground usually just above the choke point (darker decafs ground significantly coarser and pulled with different flow/sub 5s preinfusion). I pre-infuse between 7 and 20s depending on how the bean has been tasting lately. Not much to complain about with the soggy pucks just that cleanup is a little messier/stickier than it was with my Flair, which generally had pretty dry pucks.

adcampo

#4: Post by adcampo »

walr00s wrote:I seem to always get a soggy puck with water sitting on top of it on my machine, which I've had for ~2 weeks. I've read other threads where people are advised not to make too much out of "puckology" and I've taken that to heart. All of my pucks are varying degrees of soggy, but I've had plenty of great shots and the sogginess seems to not have any real relationship to what's in the cup. Still, if possible, I'd like to have less soggy pucks simply for the sake of my cleanup routine. I'm rinsing more coffee than I'd like down my drain out of my knockbox. Any advice here is appreciated.

Edit: Not sure it's relevant but I do have the flow control mod.
I'm following this.

I'm having the same issue. The clean up routine is driving me nuts. This just started with my new machine(s) Lucca X58 and Synchronika. It didn't happen with my La Pavoni. I've been using the same beans for the past couple of years. I'm using Baristapro baskets with correct dose, grind and output weight/time.

stanleyleecm

#5: Post by stanleyleecm »

I have the same issue with my QM V2B stock basket and i think it is due to the space between the grounds and the shower screen. I have a IMS Baristapro 18g basket coming in this week and will see if it solve the problem.

Appalachian Coffee

#6: Post by Appalachian Coffee »

I have a new Alexia with Flow Control also. I'm making consistent great espresso after just a few weeks of use, but like you the pucks are wetter than I had with my previous non e61 group head machine. I let the portafilter sit briefly on the drip tray and the pucks come out whole with a little bit left in the filter basket. I'm happy with that as a quick rinse under hot water and a wipe with a cloth has it ready to go again.

I'm wondering if its not something to do with being an e61 group head?

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Appalachian Coffee wrote:I'm wondering if its not something to do with being an e61 group head?
I had to chuckle a bit in sympathy as DE1 owners struggle with the same questions around wet pucks or those that don't slide out cleanly. Personally, even with all that data and people exploring various brew-chamber geometries, I still haven't seen convincing evidence that it is a robust indication that something was "wrong" with the extraction or what the mechanism involved seems to be.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by pizzaman383 »

In the E61 group head the pressure/water release is "uphill" from the brew chamber and puck. Since water can't flow uphill some remains in the puck to make it soupy.

You can leave the portafilter locked in for a minute or two and it will be drier.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

bcrdukes
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by bcrdukes »

I find this common among the VST basket on E61 machines. When going back to the factory Rocket double basket, I almost rarely get soupy pucks. Also, observationally, roast type/bean seems to impact the outcome as well. I find that with the VST basket, one has to almost has to overstuff the basket to avoid the soupy pucks, if one is so inclined to avoid. For all intents and purposes, my experience is limited to my own observations and experience I hope I am wrong.
LMWDP #685

walr00s (original poster)

#10: Post by walr00s (original poster) »

I find that with the VST basket, one has to almost has to overstuff the basket to avoid the soupy pucks
I'll give this a shot when I make my next shot(s) here in a minute! Thanks for the tip.
You can leave the portafilter locked in for a minute or two and it will be drier.
This has been my experience as well. Though I am also finding that if I leave it for more than a couple of minutes, sometimes the puck will stick to my shower screen when I remove the portafilter...haven't had it then drop onto my drip tray, seems like it would be a huge mess.