Smart Espresso Profiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
billgiannelli

#1: Post by billgiannelli »

I looked thru an ad for a company "the naked portafilter's" product "Smart Espresso Profiler".
It attaches to the espresso machine's pressure gauge. then an app connected to the device and an acaia scale and captures profile data.
Does anyone know about this device or has experience with it?
Is it worth it?
thanks
Bill

jpreiser

#2: Post by jpreiser »

James Hoffmann did a video review of it.

billgiannelli (original poster)

#3: Post by billgiannelli (original poster) »

very cool!
Thanks!
so I guess the next logical step is to somehow motorize the flow control and have the program automatically duplicate the shot?
Bill

#4: Post by billgiannelli (original poster) »

so I just saw the "decent" machines. It appears they do the automatic profiling?

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Yes, as well as the potentially more interesting flow profiling and temperature profiling.

#6: Post by billgiannelli (original poster) »

how is the Decent machine itself at making espresso?
thanks
Bill

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Plenty of discussion in other threads. Arguably on par with any machine, assuming you're not in a setting where a multi-group, commercial machine is more profitable. Its abilities allow it to make espresso in ways that are impossible or very difficult on other machines. Repeatability is annoyingly precise, highlighting barista imprecision.

If you want "classic" looks and feel, the DE1 isn't for you.

bhauff

#8: Post by bhauff »

I have the DEPro v1.0 which I got in August of 2018. John (founder of Decent) has worked with the creators of this Smart Portafilter. He has even done some work to automatically import a profile from this portafilter in to the DE to create a profile that can then be run on the DE. I am not sure how far along that got, but I recall reading several threads about it in the Decent private forums (Diaspora). The DE allows you to create profiles that control pressure, flow, and temperature with pre-programmed steps and real-time control (with the new Group Head Controller).
Enjoying the adventure is as rewarding as the destination.

#9: Post by billgiannelli (original poster) »

the new group head controller you are mentioning is v1.4?
Bill

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

The group-head controller was released with the v1.3 units can can be retrofitted to older units.

You can see it in action, among other places, in this excerpt