Slayer Single Group owner experience

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bean Counter

#1: Post by Bean Counter »

Hi All,

Would there be any Slayer Single Group owners, V4 if possible, who could comment on their ownership experience especially with regard to reliability and maintenance?

Thanks in advance.

BC

Airbornewilly
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Airbornewilly »

Hi BC,

I've had mine for about a year. Zero issues thus far. Pretty sure they have worked out most of the kinks that plagued earlier versions. Preventative maintenance is straightforward and user-serviceable if you are into that stuff. It is extremely well built and is even more beautiful in person. Ultimately, there are many options out there. I will say that if you use a high extraction grinder, like a 98mm flat, it can make some of the benefits of a "slayer" shot obsolete or overkill. Now that La Marzocco is offering the Leva X Single Group in the US I would 100% jump on that if you are willing to spend even more than a Slayer lol. Best of luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Will

michael

#3: Post by michael »

A bit past the 1 year mark, great coffee toy that makes great coffee 8)

Bean Counter (original poster)

#4: Post by Bean Counter (original poster) »

Airbornewilly wrote:Hi BC,

I've had mine for about a year. Zero issues thus far. Pretty sure they have worked out most of the kinks that plagued earlier versions. Preventative maintenance is straightforward and user-serviceable if you are into that stuff. It is extremely well built and is even more beautiful in person. Ultimately, there are many options out there. I will say that if you use a high extraction grinder, like a 98mm flat, it can make some of the benefits of a "slayer" shot obsolete or overkill. Now that La Marzocco is offering the Leva X Single Group in the US I would 100% jump on that if you are willing to spend even more than a Slayer lol. Best of luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Will
Many thanks Will! As much as the Leva X probably produces a better shot, I'm just not in love with the looks. It's not something I would enjoy looking at unfortunately. I know many talk about the great build quality of LM, and as a GS3 owner, I don't entirely disagree but some small issues would make me think twice. Did you happen to do any customisation? I'll just have to "rough" it out with my 80 or 83mm burrs ;)

Thanks

BC

#5: Post by Bean Counter (original poster) »

michael wrote:A bit past the 1 year mark, great coffee toy that makes great coffee 8)
Thanks Michael, how you like it vs your GS3?

michael

#6: Post by michael »

Also makes vg+ coffee but prefer the slayer, better build, super quiet, much better customer service 8)

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Going on 6-years since buying my Slayer 1G new (it replaced a Londinium LI). Use it every single day. Would buy it again and it makes outstanding espresso as long as I do my part :D . The only issue I have experienced: The original gear pump went kaput (bad batch of pumps from the OEM) and they sent a brand new pump at no charge (easy install) which was impressive given it was beyond the warranty period.
No Espresso = Depresso

#8: Post by Bean Counter (original poster) »

Thanks again Michael, similar sentiments!

#9: Post by Bean Counter (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:Going on 6-years since buying my Slayer 1G new (it replaced a Londinium LI). Use it every single day. Would buy it again and it makes outstanding espresso as long as I do my part :D . The only issue I have experienced: The original gear pump went kaput (bad batch of pumps from the OEM) and they sent a brand new pump at no charge (easy install) which was impressive given it was beyond the warranty period.
Thanks spressomon, you're a bit of an "old hand" in the best meaning of the phrase :) I do recall accounts of the pump issues. Glad to hear you are happy overall, helps with the confirmation bias ;)

Thanks

BC

Neuron

#10: Post by Neuron »

I've had one for about 1.5 years. It's worked perfectLy since day one. For me, at least, it produces better coffee than my GS3 which I had for 10 years. It's also a joy to use. I've contacted the manufacturer a few times to ask general questions, they've always reply quickly and are friendly and helpful.