Slayer Single Group new owner

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Royze64

#1: Post by Royze64 »

Hello everyone,

this is my first thread on this forum!

I just made the purchase of a single group slayer espresso machine and i'm so excited to receive it and start using it!
its been over 5 years since the first time I experienced it first hand in Kyoto, Arabica %. It blew my mind till this day!

as this unit is a new old stock I was able to find it at a bit better price than direct order/lead time for delivery during covid etc..

I have a few questions in regards to aftermarket customization. is there some sort of guide or tutorial to disassemble of outer body?
I would like to change the look of the machine but on my own budget/time

(off topic)
any suggestions for coffee grinders? im looking into the Niche grinder which seems to be getting satisfactory reviews.
my use will be strictly espresso

thank you

RobindG

#2: Post by RobindG »

Grinder:
If you like traditional Italian roasts the Niche is just fine. But the Slayer is capable of so much more. If you like lighter roasts that give so much more flavours, check out the Lagom and other flat burr grinders like Kafatek and Ultra Grinder.

User avatar
EricC

#3: Post by EricC »

Have a look here :

https://desk.zoho.com/portal/slayer/en/kb/slayer

Congratulations on your new machine.

Amal S
Supporter

#4: Post by Amal S »

Congratulation!, Same I order mine in 20-Jun new from slayer them self Model 2020 New Rota Pump instead of Gear Pump.

Still waiting :cry:

BTD1986

#5: Post by BTD1986 »

I would recommend a good flat burr grinder if you like lighter single origins. I have a good flat burr grinder and a large conical and I find myself using the flat much more with the slayer. Nicer separation of flavors. Congratulations on the slayer, you better be prepared to spend a lot more money on coffee, it's amazing how much you can play around with this machine. I've had mine for a little over a year and I am still learning how to get the most from it. Enjoy!

Royze64

#6: Post by Royze64 »

Thank you all!
RobindG wrote:Grinder:
If you like traditional Italian roasts the Niche is just fine. But the Slayer is capable of so much more. If you like lighter roasts that give so much more flavours, check out the Lagom and other flat burr grinders like Kafatek and Ultra Grinder.
so far i find my self liking darker roasts than lighter notes, maybe i will acquire a taste for that in the future
Amal S wrote:Congratulation!, Same I order mine in 20-Jun new from slayer them self Model 2020 New Rota Pump instead of Gear Pump.

Still waiting
Marhaba Amal :)
Shukran and mabrook to you too!
I actually ordered mine from a used/new old stock shop online..i couldn't wait to import it from slayer and the charge for their supplier in dubai is over 2,500USD from the original price which was enough to buy me a good grinder which is why i decided against going through the supplier.

I didn't know about the new 2020 model, it doesn't show anywhere on their site that there was an upgrade to the pump.
do you have any information about it? im totally clueless about the difference in the upgrade
BTD1986 wrote:I would recommend a good flat burr grinder if you like lighter single origins. I have a good flat burr grinder and a large conical and I find myself using the flat much more with the slayer. Nicer separation of flavors. Congratulations on the slayer, you better be prepared to spend a lot more money on coffee, it's amazing how much you can play around with this machine. I've had mine for a little over a year and I am still learning how to get the most from it. Enjoy!
thank you for the input :)
I can't wait to have it and start experimenting! haha yes cant escape paying the premium now :lol:

Amal S
Supporter

#7: Post by Amal S »

Royze64 wrote:Thank you all!

Marhaba Amal :)
Shukran and mabrook to you too!
I actually ordered mine from a used/new old stock shop online..i couldn't wait to import it from slayer and the charge for their supplier in dubai is over 2,500USD from the original price which was enough to buy me a good grinder which is why i decided against going through the supplier.

I didn't know about the new 2020 model, it doesn't show anywhere on their site that there was an upgrade to the pump.
do you have any information about it? im totally clueless about the difference in the upgrade
The new Rota pump does not need any flojet or any pressure 3bar for pluming
https://desk.zoho.com/portal/slayer/en/ ... 0-or-later





Slayer quote
"there is no need for waterflojet since the 2020 version machine comes with the new pump,
which able to pull the water directly from the water tank."

User avatar
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If any Slayer owners need a pump for the older models, I recommend Aquatec over Flojet.

Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In

Also both of you new owners make sure you don't have chlorides in your water.

Chloride in Water - Recommended Acceptable Ranges
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Quester

#9: Post by Quester »

RobindG wrote:Grinder:
If you like traditional Italian roasts the Niche is just fine. But the Slayer is capable of so much more. If you like lighter roasts that give so much more flavours, check out the Lagom and other flat burr grinders like Kafatek and Ultra Grinder.
Great suggestions. I also like the workflow and grind distribution of the Versalab M4--hybrid with conical then 68 mm SSP flat to finish.

I saw in another thread that Ultra is now available with 98mm blind burrs (sans screw holes). Looks interesting.

ng

#10: Post by ng »

Amal S wrote:The new Rota pump does not need any flojet or any pressure 3bar for pluming
https://desk.zoho.com/portal/slayer/en/ ... 0-or-later


image


Slayer quote
"there is no need for waterflojet since the 2020 version machine comes with the new pump,
which able to pull the water directly from the water tank."
i wonder how much work it would be to retrofit.