Slayer One Group Price Increase - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#21: Post by mivanitsky »

I have a Slayer 1gp 220. I've never had problems with the gear pump. I have outboarded the gear pump, and I do have a check valve inline.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by Terranova »

yakster wrote:Pretty sure he means a one-way valve, also known as a check valve or non-return valve to prevent backflow to the pump. For these devices there's no bypass port, just a two port valve.
Thanks Chris, that is what I mean.
On this side of the river (Germany) it is illegal to have any machine installed without a "non return valve".

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by Peppersass »

Ah. The GS/3 has three check valves that prevent back flow to the pump, including one mounted to the pump output. I moved that one to the gear pump and the other two remain in place.

fulmitz

#24: Post by fulmitz »

So Back to the original price increase old vs new stock, I just got an update from Chris's Coffee. My machine is being sent straight from Slayer HQ on the west coast. It was being bench tested yesterday and should be shipping out today.

Rob

16011PHA

#25: Post by 16011PHA »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:That's great news! It'll just make justifying the purchase of a KvdW Speedster Idromatic that much easier should that time come.
BaristaBoy - love the keyer. In my youth I was into CW big time, averaging 30 wpm. I haven't been active for a while, but can still claim 20 wpm with a few errors here and there.

re Slayer, they did have a holiday savings ($600) at the end of last year prior to the price increase. I ordered one but chose a flat black for the panels and it won't be made until the end of Feb. I've bought my last 2 machines from Chris Coffee, so looking at this thread and his timing, I should have stuck with the default glossy from him and I'd already have the machine.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#26: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Think you'll be super happy with your custom. Worth the wait.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

lloydalvarez (original poster)
Supporter

#27: Post by lloydalvarez (original poster) »

Terranova wrote: The pump seems to be the Achilles tendon of the machine and I don't know many Slayer owners who never had a broken pump.
I have a Slayer and have never had an issue with the pump. Maybe it's more to do with the water quality?

Idfixe

#28: Post by Idfixe »

When I got my pump changed last year, Support told me it was a known supplier problem that was now fixed. Don't know if all the failures mentionned here are related, I thought it was worth mentionning.

justie

#29: Post by justie »

Hi guys,

I ordered my machine end of last year right before the price increase but at the same time was also informed that there were some minor changes done that caused the price increase. Among them are as follows:

1. Pump upgraded from gear pump to rotary vane pump
2. Display changed from OLED to LCD with longer life, no burn in letters and adjustable brightness + touch sensors
3. Upgraded printed circuit board; solid state relay (increased efficiency and temperature stability, increased steam capacity and faster heat up after power save. improved recovery time)
4. Added power switch
5. Changes to power save. Machine can now be set to go into power save 1 hour after last action.
6. Shot counter

This is just info I got from a distributor. I did not receive any other explanations but just a short point form summary. I also dont know if the rotary will be internal or external as I am still waiting on my machine

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#30: Post by Peppersass »

#1 is very interesting, if true.

They really don't need a gear pump because the machine isn't designed for changing the gear pump speed (and therefore pressure/flow) during the shot. About the only good thing about the gear pump is that the pressure and flow will decrease a bit as the puck becomes more permeable after max pressure is reached. Not a big deal, and Slayer does allow the needle valve to be switched in during the back end of the shot.

A rotary pump is safer for the Slayer because the bypass valve protects the pump in case the needle valve is closed all the way. The gear pump doesn't have a bypass valve and could be damaged if run at too high a speed with the needle valve closed. And a rotary pump will fill the steam boiler faster.