Slayer One Group Price Increase - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fulmitz

#11: Post by fulmitz »

Thanks,

That's why i jumped on it. I'm pretty sure its a V3. I know it comes with a bottomless portafilter. I'm not sure if it comes with a knock box, tamper or milk jug.

Rob

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Terranova »

fulmitz wrote:I thought they came direct from the distributor. Were there any changes made to the machine?
Yes, they come from the distributer, the only changes made as far as I know is that there is no more the "no return valve" used by Slayer other wise the pump will break down even quicker as they already do.
fulmitz wrote: I'm pretty sure its a V3. I know it comes with a bottomless portafilter. I'm not sure if it comes with a knock box, tamper or milk jug.
The single group only exists as a v3.
It comes with 1 bottomless PF a basked and blind basket.

fulmitz

#13: Post by fulmitz »

So terranova, you don't like slayer machines?

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by Terranova replying to fulmitz »

I love them and imo they are able to produce better shots than any other machine, but I find it important for a forum that also the downsides have to be mentioned.

shawndo

#15: Post by shawndo replying to Terranova »

Hi frank!
How would you rate the slayer 1gr vs the mvp? Trying to find people who have both and there are not a lot of you!
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by Terranova »

shawndo wrote: How would you rate the slayer 1gr vs the mvp?
Hi Shawndo,

By extraction yield the Slayer is slightly ahead, because you have to grind finer for the same flow rate.
Build quality goes to Synesso.

MPantani

#17: Post by MPantani »

Terranova wrote:Yes, they come from the distributer, the only changes made as far as I know is that there is no more the "no return valve" used by Slayer other wise the pump will break down even quicker as they already do.

The pump will break down even quicker as they already do? What do you mean?

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by Terranova »

MPantani wrote: The pump will break down even quicker as they already do? What do you mean?

The pump seems to be the Achilles tendon of the machine and I don't know many Slayer owners who never had a broken pump.
Slayer is super generous regarding that spare part, so if it breaks down chances are good that you have a new one some days later for free. (otherwise it costs you $800 see the original part in my hand)
We started using Fluid o tech rota pumps which are not inside the machine, making less noise, being 10 x more reliable.
I think you can order it as an option from Slayer, costs around $1k +, in this case we added a mixed water tab and of course a "no return valve".

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by Peppersass »

I've had the exact same model gear pump in my modified GS/3 AV for nearly seven years with no problems. I changed the gears from 4mm to 9mm three years ago, and as the new gears came in a maintenance kit I replaced most but not all of the parts that came in the kit. But I didn't see any significant signs of wear.

I've often wondered if the number of pump failures in Slayer machines is due to running the pump against the needle valve with no bypass or expansion valve in between, but I don't believe that would cause the pump to see pressure higher than its rating. In fact, when I run my gear pump against a blind basket for backflushing the pressure seen at the pump is about 10.5 BAR or so, well within safe limits for the pump. I run backflushing at about the same pump speed as brewing, around 17% of max pump speed. That's the way Slayer does it, too, and I've been told backflushing produces pressure of about 10.5 BAR on a Slayer as well.

I wonder if some owners have compromised their gear pumps by accidentally setting the speed too high. I don't know if the Slayer firmware limits the speed to level that's safe for the machine.

I don't know what you mean by "return valve". If you mean "bypass valve", the optional bypass valve for the pump used by Slayer (and me) is only there for safety (i.e., to avoid accidental over-pressure), and the instructions say that it must not be used to set the operating pressure. That will void the warranty. As my machine has an expansion valve to protect the pump, I chose not to get the optional bypass valve. Photos I've seen of the Slayer pump have the same model number, so no bypass valve.

I should also point out that the motor controller provided with the FG series pumps features current limiting, which under the right conditions can protect the pump as well. I don't know for sure, but I think it will limit pressure to 20 BAR, which is the max rating for the pump. However, that may be too high for the machine.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by yakster »

Peppersass wrote:I don't know what you mean by "return valve".
Pretty sure he means a one-way valve, also known as a check valve or non-return valve to prevent backflow to the pump. For these devices there's no bypass port, just a two port valve.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272