Slayer single group review

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mrboots2u

#1: Post by Mrboots2u »

No posts for over a month ? As there are so few of these machines out there ,was wondering what has happened on the review. Will there be an update soon ?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

I do not speak for him, but Nicholas is working on the review.

There is a lot to test with this machine, which is very new to the market, and is the first to introduce flow profiling to the home barista market. The review will need to evaluate this new functionality, and that will require development of his testing methodology, the actual testing, and the production of a meaningful report for the forum. This will take time, and one man and a few friends can only drink so much espresso!

The man also has a real life, job, and family. Please a little patience!

The machine is very new, and very expensive, so yes, there are very few out there. I only know of three who have ordered one, who have admitted to doing so on the HB forums. Nicholas and I are two.

Mine has been delayed about a week, and should come at the end of the month.

-Mike

shadowfax

#3: Post by shadowfax »

Hi Martin,

I'm sorry for the delay; September has been a little bit of a hectic month for me, between my extended family visiting and work commitments. I have had time to spend with the machine, but have not been able to devote the time to completing some of the elements of my next post. I hope you will find it interesting when it's ready.

And, Mike is right-there are very real limits to how much coffee a person can take, and I truly have been testing those in the last couple of months!

If you have any specific questions you would like to see addressed, or any comments or suggestions, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. Thanks.
Nicholas Lundgaard

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

I would like to know about the water tap and how the water comes out. A video perhaps ???
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

shadowfax

#5: Post by shadowfax »

This is posted in the review already; see the last section of this post.
Nicholas Lundgaard

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

Sorry, I missed that. It is indeed a sputtering dragon!

DaveC

#7: Post by DaveC replying to FotonDrv »

It looks very similar to other coffee machine water taps when they operate?

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by uscfroadie replying to DaveC »

I think Stephen was asking because on the GS/3 you can blend the water from the steam boiler and the reservoir (or line) to achieve your desired temp.

I don't make tea and only use water from the hot water tap to warm cups, so this sputtering wouldn't bother me, but for some it may.
Merle

shadowfax

#9: Post by shadowfax »

DaveC wrote:It looks very similar to other coffee machine water taps when they operate?
shadowfax wrote:The Slayer's water tap is an unusual standout among its competitors: it does not feature any kind of cold-water mixing valve to tame the sputtering, super-heated water that flows from the bottom of the steam boiler. This has the obvious disadvantage of being noisy and messy. If there is any advantage to it, it is that this omission saves a good deal of space and complexity inside the machine. This is very much in line with Slayer's minimalist design, but at a cost to usability (which the machine otherwise scores very high on).
I recommend trying any one of the Slayer's direct competitors: Synesso Hydra, La Marzocco GS/3, or Kees van der Westen Speedster. They each have an adjustable blending valve assembly on the water tap that allows you to tune your output temperature to below the flash boiling point. Those with experience using those machines will tell you that they each have their own little quirks, but when set up nicely, their taps produce a quiet delivery that doesn't unleash a sputtering cloud of steam. Again, the Slayer's water tap may be right in line with most $1500-3000 espresso machines, but it is notable among $7-10,000 espresso machines.
Nicholas Lundgaard

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

Yes, I had the GS/3 and the Speedster in mind when I referenced volcanic action. My L-I has similar water capabilities to the Slayer and when making an Americano I have to be pretty careful and try to not hang onto the cup. I got a long water wand so skin would not bubble :shock: and I could just set the cups on the drip tray.