Single Group Slayer - A Production Preview - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bostonbuzz

#11: Post by bostonbuzz » Apr 30, 2014, 6:19 pm

Extremely impressive. Please enter my name into the raffle. :lol: Seriously though, I hope in a few years I can snag get the first used one.
LMWDP #353

damonbowe

#12: Post by damonbowe » replying to bostonbuzz » Apr 30, 2014, 7:27 pm

This is definitely my favorite machine as well. I hope a bunch of people get it and then stop doing espresso so they can flood the used machine market! :mrgreen:

Paolo

#13: Post by Paolo » replying to damonbowe » Apr 30, 2014, 11:15 pm

What did Dr Evil used to say? "R-I-G-H-T!!" :lol: :lol:

jonr

#14: Post by jonr » May 01, 2014, 12:01 am

I have to say that I am disappointed that high end (or perhaps just expensive :-)) machines are coming out without automated temperature and flow profiling.

Marosmith

#15: Post by Marosmith » May 01, 2014, 1:00 am

I saw these machines at the SCAA meet in Seattle. Absolutely amazing looking machines.

Billc

#16: Post by Billc » May 01, 2014, 10:15 am

Jon,
I don't think you will see temperature profiling for quite some time. I tried it and it is very dependent upon the coffee you use. Supporting this was a nightmare. It is OK for someone who would like to tinker but it is very hard to direct someone to better coffee through temp profiling.

Rancilio came out with it several years ago, I spoke to their engineers then and they were having similar problems but marketing wanted to release it anyway. Now they do not mention it much.

BillC

Moderator note: A follow-up discussion of this topic continues at Temperature Profiling.

shadowfax

#17: Post by shadowfax » May 01, 2014, 2:58 pm

I wanted to post an additional detail about the single group Slayer that I am not sure was clear before: the brew boiler is about 10% smaller in total volume for the single group versus the one for their bigger multigroup machines. It's not something that's easily noticeable, so I wanted to call it out:

The multigroup boiler (1.23L). The main pipe that the boiler is formed from is pretty large.

The single group boiler (1.1L). The main pipe is noticeably narrower.

Other than the pipe diameter and moving the element cutout to the righthand side, everything else seems identical. They both use 600W inconel heaters, etc.
Nicholas Lundgaard

shadowfax

#18: Post by shadowfax » May 01, 2014, 9:37 pm

Based on their Instagram post today, it looks like they're nearly ready with #1.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Bkeef

#19: Post by Bkeef » May 01, 2014, 9:42 pm

I think im #8. This wait is killing me

TomC
Team HB

#20: Post by TomC » May 02, 2014, 5:08 am

shadowfax wrote:You are presented with a number that appears to be % of max speed or something like that..
That is correct, according to what I was told in the booth. % max pump output. It's like 2 sub-menu's down and takes all of 5 seconds to dial where you want it to be. If I had my druthers, I'd want an ever so taller touch screen. Big hands/fingers have to do the swipe to access each sub-menu and the swipe area is quite narrow.

The single group is a dream to work on, easy to dial in, and has a pretty wide fudge factor. Learning from Jason, if you're coffee needs a bump in sweetness, leave it in pre-brew noticeably longer. If you have a high acidity but good sweetness, you can cut back out of full brew back into pre-brew to take off the edge of a too acidic shot, or in my case, it also seemed to integrate the flavors along with the acidity better, which lifted up individual flavor notes. We tested that out on one of the 3 groups of the custom Ninety Plus for a shot, since this programing wasn't setup on the single group Slayers at the booth before Friday's opening.

As far as other difficult to profile coffees, sometimes Jason just locks the portafilter and slams the paddle straight into full brew and lets the 0.7mm restricted gicleur do all the work at full pump pressure behind it. He said he's often surprised by the impressive results he gets by "punching thru" certain coffees.

Standing in front of the single group Slayer and pulling shots on it for 2 hours straight, you actually feel like you're working on a smaller machine than my (completely different) Strega. It's just a nice dreamy ergonomic paddle, and a digital display (that you can't cover your line of sight with, with cups!) but that's really all you need.

I was surprised by the simplicity of the design when the lid was opened up. The pre-brew warmer of just wrapping copper tubing around the steam boiler certainly works, but seemed, ummmm, out of place on something so high end.

If you can afford it, I don't see how someone could be disappointed. I just can't wait to see all the custom woodwork and designs added on for esthetics. Todd Carmichael came up to the booth while I was prepping, (that's when I got to meet him and get his photo). He drummed the palms of his hands against the poster behind us on the booth of a nice 2 group with Claro walnut actuators AND side panels. He was giddy, explaining how excited he was, that his single group was going to look exactly like it.