Simple Profiling on a La Marzocco GS/3 AV - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
RobindG

Postby RobindG » May 23, 2019, 4:53 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:Disclaimer:
My machine is NOT a GS/3. But I have the same needle and plumbing as Jake does, (thanks to Jake for turning me on to it), my machine already had a group head pressure gauge for live feedback, a plumbed and outboarded rotary pump, and a kill switch for the pump.

-Peter

Hi Peter, have you compared your machine with a GS/3 and others?

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » May 23, 2019, 5:11 pm

I personally have not. But a friend of mine (also an infrequent HB poster) has done side by side blind testing of a needle valved, but otherwise stock BDB vs. one of the other current, highly regarded flow profiling machines. I don't want to start a religious war here, but if you PM me, I'll send you his contact info and you can ask him what he thinks. He is an engineer and a very direct, straight talker. He likes super light roasts where you need long pre infusion to tame some of the acidity.

We have no comparison with a GS/3 that I know of. But one would surmise that the best GS/3 to compare with would be one with very precise low debit flow capability... Like Jake's or Dick or Assaf's.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

AssafL

Postby AssafL » May 27, 2019, 2:09 am

What an elegant solution...

I think it is a no-brainer for GS/3 AV owners....
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Peppersass

Postby Peppersass » May 30, 2019, 3:18 am

Peppersass wrote:Jake, can you post your source(s) for the parts....

Bump. And part numbers, too, please.

Jake_G
Team HB

Postby Jake_G » replying to Peppersass » May 30, 2019, 6:24 pm

Sorry about that!

I updated the parts list on the first post with part numbers. I put mine together with parts bin parts I had lying around the shop, the sources of which are long forgotten, but the part numbers I listed appear to be available.

Note that once you look into the QR2-F push to connect fittings, you are better off to order two M5 fittings for the needle valve, one 1/8G fitting for the coffee boiler and one 1/4G fitting for the HX mixing valve. This eliminates the need for the reducing bushings, but you still need a way to go from male threads to female threads on the needle valve or hunt through the QR2-F fittings and see if they offer a female M5 by 4mm tube option. I'm sure they do. These can be sourced by any Aventics distributor.

Cheers!

-Jake

Jake_G
Team HB

Postby Jake_G » Jun 14, 2019, 6:48 pm

AssafL wrote:What an elegant solution...

I think it is a no-brainer for GS/3 AV owners....

Thanks Assaf. Not sure how I missed this comment when I replied to Dick!

Below is a quick (and annoying vertical cell phone shot) video of how I modulate the flow and pressure with the valve:

Video: One-Finger operation of the 'Sprofiling ValveTM

It took me a few iterations to get the bracket sized properly to pop into vent hole in the upper cover and also hold the valve at the proper angle for the knob to line up with the slats in the cup warmer grate.

Cheers!

- Jake